Registration

James Stanley

Question

Hello,

I have been working with a longtime fan of Cakewalk products to help get a new PC set up for him.

I installed the software and now need to get the registration message box to stop popping up every time it opens.

He has all of the Serial Numbers and original discs... we just cannot find any support to be able to get the registration squared away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

11 answers to this question

Which version are you trying to set up? I assume that you are referring to some legacy Cakewalk product, as the new Cakewalk by BandBab is free and does not rely on serial numbers

Some will require both the serial numbers and the registration codes that were issued when the product was initially registered. They should be found in the legacy "My Account/My Products" page by logging in at cakewalk.com.

• Like 1

We are definitely working with a legacy version [Sonar 8.5 - upgraded from original 8.0]. This is being installed on a 64-bit Windows 10 PC.

We have all the serial numbers and all of the information we need for the software.

He did not keep records of past email addresses or logins or save the registration file somewhere 'safe'.

I have a copied image of his original computer with the file structure intact; is there somewhere I could look for the registration "return" file?

***Thank you all for your responses!***

You do not need a registration file, all you need is the registration code. I wrote mine down on the yellow sticker on the back of the DVD box, where it says "Product Registration Code (Please write down)".

In addition the code will be listed in plain text in the user account on the legacy Cakewalk site.

https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fMy-Account

I have never heard of anyone recovering the online registration info from their disk folders.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

If you can't log in to the old Cakewalk site to get your registration information, you'll have to check with support@cakewalk.com to update your login or create a new one.

But while we're at it, may I suggest you download and install Cakewalk by Bandlab? It's free, and unlike SONAR 8.5, it is supported and still under development.

• Like 1

Thank you ALL for offering assistance! I am grateful for a community of helpful people!

One of the main issues is that the user I have been working with did not remember ever setting up an account with Cakewalk or what email address would have been used to do so.

If it would be possible to do a reverse lookup for his information [authentication required, of course] - that would be great, but there does not seem to be an option of that nature.

I have contacted support@cakewalk.com and we have started working through the initial level information gathering stages... not there yet.

All that said... keep the thoughts coming! Good, bad, ugly, and indifferent - I appreciate the feedback!

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Cakewalk by BandLab is free now. It is a continuation of Sonar Platinum 2017.10, and is much improved from Sonar 8/8.5!!!

Just need a free registration here, to get the BandLab assistant, then you are free to download and use the latest version of Cakewalk!

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Even with Cakewalk by Bandlab still might need to get access to old versions, in case plugins....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

Even with Cakewalk by Bandlab still might need to get access to old versions, in case plugins....

Well I was merely offering a suggestion  for an alternative, in case it ends up being a dead-end regarding accessing the legacy account.  Not a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing! At least it would get a Cakewalk DAW up and running again for free!

As scook said, an account was required to register Sonar 8.  Cakewalk support is trying to assist the user, but without that original email to reference the account, success may be in doubt.

Thank you all for your suggestions and assistance!!!

After using some of the items you posted and some help from support@cakewalk.com, we were able to get the registration completed.

Got amazing support from them [and you guys]! - Definitely the case considering the company does not exist any longer...

But, thank you again for all the consideration!

• Like 2