SOLVED. Need help. Nektar 25+ keyboard controller and MIDI

Billy86

I'd say I'm an intermediate MIDI user. Have and am using MIDI-controlled VSTi's. I understand the signal I/O signal routing from Controller to MIDI channel to VST channel.  Can't figure this out:

Just bought LX25+. Registered, downloaded and installed the software for CbB (adds some deeper integration/control beyond generic MIDI Controller). Plugged in and turned on.  No driver is required for LX 25+, as it's class compliant.

Cakewalk recognized LX25+. 

Added MIDI input/output for LX25+ in Preferences/MIDI/Devices.

Added LX25+ as a Control Surface in Preferences/MIDI/Control Surfaces. In Port and Out Port set. 

Added MIDI track and set input to LX25+ OMNI... Input Echo is on. Midi track is in focus. Always Echo current MIDI track checked in Preferences/MIDI/Playback and Recording. No MIDI signal from the controller registering in the meter.  No sound from VSTi. (Addictive Keys). Tried as both a Simple Instrument Track and as a separate Midi channel paired with the AddKeys' channel. No joy. Also, interestingly(?), the WAI color (red) assigned to LX25+ is not showing up in the MIDI track I've set the input to LX25 on; the color (aqua) reflects another control surface I have connected, Presonus Faderport. 

Closed Cakewalk. 

Opened MIDI-OX to test. LX25+ is recognized and working. Keys/pads, encoders all sending signal. 

What am I doing wrong ? Thanks.

EDIT:  Operator error.  When I added it as a Control Surface I selected the actual name of the controller (Nektar LX25+) that showed up in the dropdown menu Controller/Surface instead of choosing "ACT/MIDI Controller."  Back in business. 

Edited by Billy86
Solved

In your second paragraph you first said you installed the driver and at the end you say it doesn’t need a driver?  Definitely when there’s a midi driver you want to use it as Cakewalk loves real drivers. 
I have never used a control surface so not sure about setting that up but if the LX 25 shows in the midi input list and in the track inputs then it by all rights should work. 
Only thing I can think is that somehow Cakewalk is confused about what the device is for. Is it a keyboard controller or a control surface device 

Another thing that is easily overlooked is that keyboard/controller hardware combos usually have two virtual midi devices for input to the DAW and both must be enabled. For the Nektar LX+ series, when viewing the CbB midi devices dialog, the one named MIDIIN2 (Impact LX25+) is the control surface midi device and the one named Impact LX25+ is the keyboard midi device. You may not have both enabled. Also check  in the control surfaces dialog,  the one named MIDIIN2 (Impact LX25+) is the one to use for the control surface input. (Yes, the input and output names will not be the same device!)

I have an LX49+ and it works perfectly, I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1