Early music computer and early speech synthesis

Michael Docy

Wow - that reminds me of my internship whilst at Uni.

I got landed with doing the mainframe backup, which took around an hour each day for the differential backup, and the whole day on Friday to do the full backup.

I spent around 6 hours on a Friday feeding tapes into five machines the size of wardrobes and walking back and forth to the tape room. I'm sure the loudness of the air-cooled mainframes are responsible for my tinnitus. 

Apparently, once I'd left they replaced the whole lot with two DAT machines.

6 hours ago, craigb said:

A couple.  Just look for the poorly spelled words and stupid grammar.  😆

It has more with foreign language than age to do.  If I don't know what to write, I say it in swedish and translate it word by word. 🤣

By the way, I'm 932 years old.

• Haha 3

Just to be clear, I have a lot of respect for those posting in a forum that's not using their native language.  But if you write complete crap on purpose without trying to be funny (e.g., "If'n u play me ur gon loose!  I to 1337!"), then you're not going to be taken seriously anyway.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 8:39 PM, craigb said:

Man it's been a long time since I saw a tape room like that!  Miss it?  Nope!

Aha! A a tape room! Familiar site from my early days. It was quite a development when those eventually evolved into robots surrounded by mag tape cartridge racks (tape silo). End of tape operators!

StorageTek.jpg.4756691de53291cfd865e9f80a727d38.jpg

On 4/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, Gswitz said:

Is anyone under 1000 years old around here?

We joke, but kids work so heavily with cloud resources like Google apps that there are high school grads who consider themselves tech savvy who don't understand local storage like hard drives or why you would use it.

I used to use as an interview question when hiring people for a service development team, 'give an example of when not to use service oriented architecture'.

So much dead air.

4 hours ago, Gswitz said:

We joke, but kids work so heavily with cloud resources like Google apps that there are high school grads who consider themselves tech savvy who don't understand local storage like hard drives or why you would use it.

I used to use as an interview question when hiring people for a service development team, 'give an example of when not to use service oriented architecture'.

So much dead air.

Refilling the coffee maker?  Putting paper into the copier???

😀

When I heard that was coming out I tried to earn enough to buy one (I mean, 64k??!  Wow!).  But, by the time I had enough money, all sorts of new stuff had come out so I continued waiting.

Until then I had to make do with Trash-80's and the first Apples ("Ooo!!!  Color!!!").

7 hours ago, Gswitz said:

Your "cloud" is just somebody else's server... ;)

• Like 1