Can't even start app. All other sequencers work fine

So, as soon as I make any changes to the configuration (midi devices, audio devices) I can't even do anything to the software unless I leave it empty with no new song loaded.  It just goes into a feedback loop with what looks like flashes of install meter dialog windows that flash too quick to see.  This goes on for ever.   I have never seen something this buggy and impossible to get into like this.  I love the layout and the way it's designed and I really want it to work but for the life of me, I can't even get it running.   Just selecting the audio and midi hardware and loading up an empty song kills it.  Changing sample rate kills it.   I have other sequencers working flawlessly on same system.   Any ideas before I go back to Reaper?  :)  

@David Govett - before you open a project, can go to Edit->Preferences, then post a screenshot of the MIDI->Devices page ( ALT + PrtSc will take a screenshot of this dialog when it's open).

[Edit] - if you could also do the same for the "Playback and Recording" and "Control Surfaces" pages, that might help us to narrow this down.

Thanks.

It simply doesn't like my focusrite interface.  If I choose generic ASIO, no problem, but.. no sound.   
MIDI devices don't seem to be the issue.  Thanks for any insight.  I love your tutorial videos!  
(edit)  Output device on focusrite is checked but scrolled to far.  

driver settings.PNG

MIDI Devices.PNG

Playback Recording.PNG

Edited by David Govett

So, I got it to work temporarily.  Uncheck all the audio settings, closed it and started over again.  Checked Focusrite in and out, started a new song and played some audio and it worked great.  Saved song, closed Cakewalk.  Open Cakewalk, load song, and back to the error.    

However, if I disable the audio in preferences, exit program, come back and re-enable, I can get going again and be running fine until I close the program.  A workaround for now as I evaluate the program. 

Here is a video showing the whole process and what it's doing.  I can almost live with this if I don't run into other stability issues.  
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hdz3mg9gv7aeqq/Cakewalk Workaround.mp4?dl=0

Edited by David Govett

Which driver have you installed? Focusrite had problems with CbB and released a driver beta driver to solve this:

• Improved an issue that could cause glitching in WASAPI applications
• Improved an issue that could cause glitching in WDM applications at 44.1/48kHz sample rate, 1024 sample buffer size
• No longer teardown WDM filters when changing buffer size
Fixed an issue that could cause a crash in Cakewalk by Bandlab
• Fixed an issue that could cause some WDM filters to fail to automatically populate on computer restart

Edited by Teegarden

10 hours ago, David Govett said:

If I choose generic ASIO, no problem, but.. no sound. 

If this means there is a "Generic" ASIO driver in addition to the manufacturer supplied driver, it should be removed.

Often "Generic" ASIO drivers conflict with manufacturer supplied drivers.

There should never be more than one ASIO driver installed for an interface.

@David GovettThis is not a focusrite issue. Most likely your issue is the "Generic Low Latency" ASIO driver that is installed on your system. If you freeze frame your video you will see that the pop ups are emanating from that driver. Look for this driver on your PC and uninstall it. 
I know some old versions of Cubase or their plugins installed that. Let us know what the manufacturer of that driver is by looking at the file properties when you find it. 

I'm pretty sure that once you remove it you wont have this issue. Cakewalk doesnt need this driver since WASAPI mode is sufficient and preferred for accessing soundcards that don't have ASIO drivers.

If you can't easily find the driver and uninstall it you can do this:

Go to this registry key in regedit and look for "Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

Then copy the CLSID value search for it. You should find it embedded under the CLSID key below 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\ 

For me it looks like this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{52EBAE30-47E4-483F-B87B-770314306005}

Then under that key's InprocServer32 value you will see the path to the ASIO dll.

Go to that path and rename the all dlls in that path with a .bak extension or something else.

Restart your PC and now that ASIO driver should no longer be loaded by Cakewalk.  

Thanks Noel. I saw that in freezing the frame too.   I'll hunt that Generic ASIO drive down and identify and destroy it!  I'll post the information I learn about it here for you too. (most likely Cubase as I have that)   Thanks! 

Dave

Edited by David Govett