Very, very slow to respond

Sylvester

I have just installed Cakewalk by Bandlabs for the first time.  When I start the program, it is very, very slow to respond to mouse clicks or keyboard shortcuts.  Even shutting the program down took far too long.  I decide to completely un-install it and re-install.  This did not help.  Something is seriously wrong here, or I have not gone through the correct procedure of downloading and installing it.

Using Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

That is fantastic.  It works and thanks very much for that.

I had to adjust a few other things while there.  In Audio Devices, it had Realtec Digital Output.  I don't use digital out.  I un-checked all except Speaker Realtec audio 1/2.

Never heard of WASAPI.  Have been out of it for a while and was using Sonar 8.  Only know ASIO and MME.

Thanks again.

It is a brand new Gigabyte motherboard first manufactured last year.

On board Audio:

Realtek ALC1220-VB codec
2, 4, 5.1, 7.1, channels  <== I only use 2.
S/PDIF out

This is how it was on first install.  It took about 2 minutes to get the Preferences screen to show.

Capture.PNG

Capture_2.PNG

Capture_3.PNG

Realtek onboard sound chip.

I have had this problem before several years ago when running Sonar 8 and a few other sound editors.  The Realtek drivers would produce clicks and had latency issues.  One fellow said they are the worst sound card/chip with terrible drivers.  I think I better install a top quality sound card either internal or external.

Actually the realtek onboard audio chipset itself works fine. It works great with WASAPI.

The issue here is the poorly written ASIO driver. We did some research on this a day ago with a Realtek ASIO driver that ships with ASUS laptops and it doesn't even pass the host test from the ASIO SDK. The driver returns a sample rate of zero and fails when Cakewalk queries it for all supported sample rates including 44.1. I have no idea how this driver could work at all!

Thanks for experimenting with all this, and I have decided to give the Realtek the flick.  I've disabled it in the BIOS and will be putting in one of my old sound cards.  Even though it is some years old, it was very good in its day and definitely supported ASIO and has balanced 1/4" inputs and outputs. I probably should have done that first before installing Cakewalk.

Edited by Sylvester
Spelling