Parentheses after track numbers and multiple copies of tracks in same lane - is this normal?

Bob Decker

Question

Hello Cakewalkers,

I have a related thread up on audio dropouts and loud static noise.  As I look at my tracks, why are there duplicates listed [e.g., bass (3)] instead of it just having one track?  Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?  Checking if this activity is causing the dropouts I'm experiencing.  Thanks.

HOFA_ch6_doubles_2.JPG

HOFA_ch6_doubles.JPG

2 answers to this question

There's nothing stopping you editing the name of those tracks to remove the "(3)" suffixes, but I'm curious as to how they got there in the first place.

I suspect something about your workflow is outside what we would consider "normal". How and why are you bouncing tracks? What destination do you specify and why?

If you bounce a track it gets the name Bass(1). Edit a bit and bounce again. It is Bass(2). Edit a bit and bounce, it is Bass(3). Now you can choose which one you want, externally or internally. The unused bounces are what is deleted when you clean up audio files.

And if you are using MIDI + Synth it is perfectly normal to bounce to get an audio track to work with. Especially if you have a high load on your CPU.