Old .cwp Files w/ Edirol Sonar 3 or 4 Help PLEASE

Andrew

So, back in 2005 some of my closest friends and I were into making music. The one of us who actually was good at it has recently Passed away. I also recently went through some old files and found a folder with Every one of his original saves from Sonar 3 or 4. I thought we used Sonar 4 Producer Edition or Sonar 3 Home Studio, but I can't recall. I have Sonar X3 on my laptop to simply try and export these songs but I am getting the Error in the picture attached. I am hoping that somebody could help me figure out how I can get the beats to work so I can make a commemoration of all his work, or if somebody can actually export to another form of Media for me to be able to use in a newer version of Sonar or Even another program. PLEASE Help me with this!

Poppa_Error.png

I was able to check out a bunch of Sonar 3 *.cwp projects in one of the recent x64 versions of CbB. Only problem was missing plugins. Haven't looked to hard on it, but guess there would be a way of sorting that problem out. 

Sonar 3/4 was 32-bit, and CbB is x64 bit only. Maybe the quickest way would be to install Sonar 3/4 and the 32-bit version of Sonar X3. That way the problem with missing 32-bit plugs maybe solved. 

You can open these files in the new Cakewalk by Bandlab if you choose to install it - or you can just use the X3 version you have installed.

The Error you are seeing is that certain plug-ins are not available on the system. If those plug-ins are " Audio Processing plug-ins" ( such as Equalizers , compressors, reverbs etc......- then you are in luck and can easily replace them with what is included with a basic Cakewalk install.

If they are " instrument ( VSTi )" types of plug -ins then you would need to find suitable instrument replacements.  There are a number of instruments included in the Cakewalk install - and you may be able to easily replace some of the instruments as well. This really depends on what those instruments are of course. 

To proceed - just say OK at that Error prompt. You will see those listed plug-ins in their original position in the track view and console view and they will be in parenthesis and will simply act as if they are muted. Missing instruments might give you more of a challenge. but again they will just act as if they're muted. See what happens when you hit play - hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1

What RBH said.

Have you tried clicking through that error message?

First, it would be much easier for us to help you if you would list for us what plug-ins are missing. Due to a quirk of the forum software, screen captures stay at "preview" size when they are clicked on, so I can't read what's missing.

If, as RBH says, they are audio FX, it may be fairly simple to just replace them and tweak them a bit.