Crashing with Spitfire Labs

ET440

Just wondering if anyone else ran into this....I was trying out Spitfire Labs with Cakewalk and everything would crash and close.  Sometimes it'd happen right away, other times it'd be after I switched instruments.  Funny thing is, it was happening when I had a Nektar keyboard hooked up.  I was just playing around now using the virtual keyboard, and no issues.  BTW, I am totally  new to Cakewalk and DAWs in general, so am pretty clueless when it comes this stuff.  I didn't like the keys on the Nektar board, so I'm getting a little 32-key Arturia instead.  We'll see how that goes 😀

I have seen LABS crash my Cakewalk and my Unify vst.  I reported this to Spitfire Audio last week and opened a support ticket.  You should also know that  The Pluginguru complany has indicated that there is a problem with LABS crashing their PluginGuru Unify program and that LABS also is crashing multiple DAWS.   Pluginguru opened a support ticket with Spitfire ; their support ticket # is: 169679.   You should also report your problem to Spitfire and mention that ticket number.   The more people who complain about this problem with LABS, the better the chance that it will be fixed.

[EDIT:  Since you mentioned the possiblity of a Netkar issue, let me add that this crashing happens no matter which controller I use, which are Native Instruments S61, StudioLogic SL990, and my Edirol/Roland PCR800; so I do not think it is related to Nektar controllers.-- I hope that helps.   Please report your issue to Spitfire Audio's Support.]

Edited by Cecelius2
Additional info
  • Like 1

So, interestingly enough, I don't think LABS is the problem.  I was using a different VST plugin the other day, and the same thing happened—CW just closes without warning.  This usually seems to happen when I'm changing sounds (like in LABS, say I'd switch from strings to piano, or whatever).  It's also very intermittent.  Wonder if it's some kind of driver issue?  I also had Ableton Lite do the same thing.  Maybe it's a windows 10 thing?

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

Are you doing this while the project is playing back?

No, I didn't even have anything recorded.  I was just playing around with all the sounds, so luckily I didn't lose any unsaved work.

52 minutes ago, Vlad_Muc said:

LABS works fine for me, although it does not have the best performance. Do you have the latest version?

I think so.  I just DL'd it last week.

Since it happens with other plugins, could it be a driver issue?  Are there any additional drivers I need to download for CW?  I'm just using my PC's audio card now, which I think is Realtek.

@ET440 its not a driver issue. If the app is exiting after changing patches its most likely some plugin is corrupting the heap. 
unfortunately these issues are very hard to pinpoint and it may affect different apps differently since its corrupting memory randomly. You should definitely report this to the plugin vendor as a memory corruption issue. If this is reproducible please let us know and we can also follow up.

• Like 1

FYI--Labs Memory leak.  The  programmer/coder over at PluginGuru has said that Labs has a serious Memory Leak problem.  Here is a link to their forum where he says: "LABS has serious memory bugs. We have an ongoing discussion with Spitfire Audio support staff."  and also "This is a known issue with the LABS plug-in, which I have reported to Spitfire Audio. It affects every host, not just Unify.  Please report it to Spitfire yourself,..."   

Here is a link to his quote: 

https://forums.pluginguru.com/questions-about-unify-v1-0/unify-is-crashing-labs/#post-8761

My problem is that Labs is still crashing my Cakewalk and Cubase DAWS on two different Desktop computers, but to be fair I have had the vst Unify from pluginguru also running when LABS crashed.  

Please submit support tickets to Spitfire Audio Support so they can track down this memory leak and crashing of LABS.

Cecelius2

Edited by Cecelius2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good News!  Spitfire is fixing the LABS Leak.  I received an email from Spitfire tech support today with beta versions that fix the leak. 

I have tested the vst and vst3 beta releases and I used Pluginguru's Unify 1.5 to make sure that this is fixed.  I tried every category/type of LABS instruments and there were no crashes any more; I also let it run for most of the morning; no crashes. 

So, Spitfire will be updating this fix to Labs at some point (I do not know when).

C2

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This problem with LABS appeared just yesterday in CbB for me too. Cakewalk crashes whenever I try to delete an instrument track that has LABS loaded into it. I even tried it in a blank Cakewalk file with nothing else but a LABS track loaded up and it did the same thing when I tried to delete the track. The instruments are playing, but there also seems to be some electrical interference-style glitching on some LABS presets. Also strange is that the Spitfire audio app that you use to allocate folder locations and everything else, says I don't have LABS installed. All the file paths are correct. Very strange. I'd update it if I could, but the Spitfire software tells me I don't have any products so... 😕