Delete take lanes. Bulk delete question.

Misha

Hi Folks.

Is there a way to delete Take Lanes selectively (Shift or Ctrl) in bulk?

If I select the upper left corners of take lanes (see attached), right click-> delete, it only deletes a single take lane only, not all that are "selected"  Of course I can hover over actual audio clips and it will delete those in bulk.... but not the Take lanes they sit on. Is there a way to  select-> delete actual Take lanes in bulk? 

Thank you.

take lanes.jpg

28 minutes ago, Misha said:

Of course I can hover over actual audio clips and it will delete those in bulk.... but not the Take lanes they sit on. Is there a way to  select-> delete actual Take lanes in bulk? 

Once the lanes are cleared, right-click in the parent track and "Remove Empty Take Lanes"

• Like 2

Greatest Scook saves the day... Again!

Thank you! Worked.

---------------------

P.S. I remember putting in request of being able to have an option to "delete muted lanes". I still think it is a valid request.

Surprised?!?! Indeed!!! Actually more, but who counts... :)

But to satisfy your curiosity, I like to keep sketch ideas in 1 or 2 tracks instead of individual tracks or folders, so take lanes are perfect for my workflow.  If something I think is worth coming back to, I re-name that lane.  Take lanes and their recording behavior (Thank you Noel!) was a game changer for me. 

26 minutes ago, Misha said:

Surprised?!?! Indeed!!! Actually more, but who counts... :)

But to satisfy your curiosity, I like to keep sketch ideas in 1 or 2 tracks instead of individual tracks or folders, so take lanes are perfect for my workflow.  If something I think is worth coming back to, I re-name that lane.  Take lanes and their recording behavior (Thank you Noel!) was a game changer for me. 

Hey, whatever works! 😀

This is a good one. I think I have ignored them for a long time now. But they are stupid. I think I’ll add things like 

“ feed Jack the Cat” 

Take dinner out of the freezer 

tune your guitar 

don’t forget to turn off the monitors before shutting down 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, Misha said:

If I select the upper left corners of take lanes (see attached), right click-> delete, it only deletes a single take lane only, not all that are "selected"  Of course I can hover over actual audio clips and it will delete those in bulk.... but not the Take lanes they sit on. Is there a way to  select-> delete actual Take lanes in bulk?

Sigh.

I think it was originally supposed to work the way you expect. According to earlier versions of the Reference Guide, Quick Groups were supposed to work on Take Lanes. Just as with tracks and buses, where we are able to select multiples, then hold Ctrl and whatever operation we perform (such as mute, solo or delete) would be performed.

I can't find it in there any more, so I assume that the decision was made to alter the documentation rather than implement the feature. It's still confusing because you can highlight multiple lanes but it doesn't mean anything.

Remove Empty Take Lanes is fine for just that, deleting empty lanes, but I'd like to be able to do it in one step across multiple tracks. Since I record live drums, I wind up with 4 tracks, often with a useless take or two. In order to get rid of those takes, I have to perform what I think is too many steps. Open all the lanes and delete them one by one? Delete the clips and then Remove Empties? Does Quick Grouping work for Remove Empty Take Lanes?

Ideally I would like to see 3 functions for take lanes:

1) Select group (shift/control)->right click->bulk delete

2)Hide muted lanes (or archive them on a specialized single lane)

3)Delete muted

Archiving of take lanes is a feature that has been requested by me and others, mostly due to the fact that muted or not, in playback and recording, Cakewalk reads every file referenced by a clip in a project, including clips in muted lanes.

I'd like to keep multiple takes for possible future remixing, but without the overhead on the audio engine of streaming them all.

I can wind up with 10 takes of my drum kit, which amounts to 40 files the length of the song. So a song with 12 tracks, 4 of which are drums and the rest individual voices and instruments, can end up streaming 50 files depending on how many takes of the other instruments I have.

Sometimes I'm not 100% sure which takes are going to work best until I get a halfway decent mix put together.

Right now I solve this by moving the unused takes to other tracks and archiving these tracks into a folder named Archives, but, y'know, extra steps.

Erik, 

I guess with today's relatively cheap storage archiving (muted in bulk) is the way to go. Will gladly bump the request if you point me to it. I tried searching: "archive and take and lanes " in Feedback Loop, got many pages and got lost...

On 4/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, scook said:

Once the lanes are cleared, right-click in the parent track and "Remove Empty Take Lanes"

For those wonder exactly where to click, you have to expand the takes using the icon and then right click on the top (parent) clip. I kept clicking on the track information and not the clip itself.

• Thanks 1