All Applied acoustics instruments and effects have been updated (Not a Deal)

Promidi

1 hour ago, paulo said:

Yeah, same here. Not so much with strum but since the v3's were introduced it has been known for inserting one of those (or using to replace another) to cause a crash for me. Not so often that it's a major league PITA, but I do always make sure to save right before inserting the v3's just in case.

More and more I am convinced that there should be an "official" recommendation not to use VST3, if there is a VST2 version! 😆 Maybe there should also be a switch in the preferences "Hide Related VST3 Plug-ins"!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, marled said:

More and more I am convinced that there should be an "official" recommendation not to use VST3, if there is a VST2 version! 😆 Maybe there should also be a switch in the preferences "Hide Related VST3 Plug-ins"!

By saying v3 I meant the version number of the various AAS synths not the VST3 version of that synth, but you may also be right, I haven't looked into that.

• Haha 1

It's a testament to how much I love the way my A|A|S soundpacks (and Objeq Delay and Lounge Lizard Session) sound that I'm willing to give them so much slack. 

With the last major update, the UI's of any of the plug-ins started to take about 3 seconds to load the first time, which may not sound like much, but in the context of a mix session, this is on a project that only takes 4 seconds for the whole thing to load in Cakewalk. 3 seconds is at least 3X longer than I should be staring at my DAW waiting for a plug-in UI to appear.

This slow UI load happens in both Cakewalk and Mixcraft, it's with all of their stuff, Player, Objeq Delay, and the Sessions, and it's new behavior.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dasmode said:

The AAS support is great, I just got the answers. I had a lot of questions about the Multiphonics CV-1.

I also received a (non canned) reply regarding the multiple instances in Cakewalk issue. So AAS are definitely looking into it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's a testament to how much I love the way my A|A|S soundpacks (and Objeq Delay and Lounge Lizard Session) sound that I'm willing to give them so much slack. 

With the last major update, the UI's of any of the plug-ins started to take about 3 seconds to load the first time, which may not sound like much, but in the context of a mix session, this is on a project that only takes 4 seconds for the whole thing to load in Cakewalk. 3 seconds is at least 3X longer than I should be staring at my DAW waiting for a plug-in UI to appear.

This slow UI load happens in both Cakewalk and Mixcraft, it's with all of their stuff, Player, Objeq Delay, and the Sessions, and it's new behavior.

I have made exactly the same experience! It is annoying! 👎

Started considering myself lucky that I missed out the upgrade to Chromaphone 3 :D Although I completely appreciate the upgraded sound of the new version and the soundbanks and I find it worth upgrading once past the issues.

6 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Started considering myself lucky that I missed out the upgrade to Chromaphone 3 :D Although I completely appreciate the upgraded sound of the new version and the soundbanks and I find it worth upgrading once past the issues.

I haven't found Chromaphone 3 to be any more problematic than the other v3's, but I don't really use it much. 

22 hours ago, marled said:

Maybe there should also be a switch in the preferences "Hide Related VST3 Plug-ins"!

That was exactly my thinking, but I have been told by the powers that be it is the fault of the vendor not Cakewalk....so they won't do that. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

That was exactly my thinking, but I have been told by the powers that be it is the fault of the vendor not Cakewalk....so they won't do that. 🤷‍♂️

I meant this more as a provocative joke! But there is also some truth in it, as VST3 has been more bane than boon for the music world! I don't think that we really missed something if all plugins were still VST2! 😉

On 5/13/2021 at 2:52 PM, Fleer said:

Strange, as they normally respond instantly. Checked your spam?

I got a reply today from AAS this morning saying they have recompiled their updates and a new version is now available on the site.

Would someone else like to have a go at installing them and let me know the result? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, antler said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/vst-2-4-vs-vst-3-0-who-cares-you-do/

"MYTH: VST3 plug-ins are buggy, so it’s best to stick with VST 2.4 for now.

The VST3 spec has been around for 10 years, and adoption was relatively slow because VST 2.4 worked well. But during those 10 years, manufacturers have refined their code and, by and large, worked out any bugs so VST3 plug-ins are at least as reliable as their VST 2.4 equivalents. Remember, the issue isn’t the spec itself — it’s the implementation. You can install both types if you want, because the plug-ins themselves usually don’t take up much space (with instruments, it’s their content libraries that take space). But also note that many companies are more actively developing and debugging their VST3 versions, whereas VST 2.4 versions are becoming more of an afterthought."

I wonder about this sweetwater article (very blue-eyed)! Yes, the spec has been around for 10 years, but the last year I read about so many problems with VST3 (now with AAS), thus I doubt that "VST3 is as reliable as VST2.4" at all, that's bullsxxt! Also, even if the spec has been around for 10 years, many manufacturers did not jump to VST3 for years! I mean a lot of the conversion has just happened or is happening first now (there are even great players that have not yet jumped on VST3)!

"Remember, the issue isn’t the spec itself — it’s the implementation.": It seems the guy who has written this does not have any clue about IT! Specs have a lot to do with implementation problems, especially if used cross-manufacturer! Most specs leave a lot of details open, the spec theorists say: This is not relevant! But often in the real world it is! I have found and understood several of such issues in my IT career.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Remember there is no more VST2 licensing available for new plugins so one can only keep his VST2 stuff until it will eventually get discontinued, that's a fact. The future must be VST3 regardless.

Sadly you are right!

• Like 1

"The VST3 spec has been around for 10 years, and adoption was relatively slow because VST 2.4 worked well. But during those 10 years, manufacturers have refined their code and, by and large, worked out any bugs so VST3 plug-ins are at least as reliable as their VST 2.4 equivalents."

Almost choked on my coffee reading that...
Many developers are still having issues with their VST3 plugins... for example the last time i checked u-he website was still recommending using the VST2 versions if possible.

From u-he's color ColourCopy User Guide:

"IMPORTANT: Cubase has a preference “suspend VST3 plug-in processing when no audio
signals are received” which cuts off FREEZE after a few seconds unless you keep sending
audio or MIDI. The same option also silences normal regenerating delays after a short while. If
you are using VST3 and your host includes such an option, either disable it or load Colour
Copy in a format other than VST3 (e.g. VST2)!"

While the VST3 spec has redeeming features its deployment was a pure marketing move by Steinberg to gain a marketing edge.
The VST3 spec was sprung on the development community without their feedback, didn't leverage on the VST2 spec so you virtually had to start from scratch to create your VST3 version, and on the day Steinberg announced the VST3 spec they had all their VST3 versions ready & available for sale.
It was 'hey here's then new VST spec - It's VST 3!  and oh all off our stuff is now VST3 will only use VST3 format plugins!'

In spite of the way VST3 is and has been handled I feel that at this point VST3 is the standard and should be fully supported - but not to the exclusion of VST2.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I got a reply today from AAS this morning saying they have recompiled their updates and a new version is now available on the site.

Would someone else like to have a go at installing them and let me know the result? 😉

Within 24 hours of sending AAS a support email, I received a reply with the hotfixes for all of their synths.

On my system (configured as per signature), Chromophone 3.1.0 Hotfix 1 VST3 allowed me to load multiple instances in CbB 2021.4.Build 170.  Prior to this hotfix (Chromophone 3.1.0), I was unable to do this (Even through jBridge)

It should be noted that, on my system, the links pointed to on my first post in this thread are still pre hotfix. That is with the FF cache cleared.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1