All Applied acoustics instruments and effects have been updated (Not a Deal)

Promidi

Guys, anyone who hasn't updated to the latest AAS versions - you might want to hold off. It isn't playing well with the latest CbB build. The result is that you cannot open more than one instance of AAS in a project, as well as general slow loading.

I don't know if this effects other DAWs - anyone seen problems?

35 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Guys, anyone who hasn't updated to the latest AAS versions - you might want to hold off. It isn't playing well with the latest CbB build. The result is that you cannot open more than one instance of AAS in a project, as well as general slow loading.

I don't know if this effects other DAWs - anyone seen problems?

I'm using the latest CbB build and latest version of Chromaphone 3 and Ultra Analog VA-3. Seems to work fine for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hillmy said:

I'm using the latest CbB build and latest version of Chromaphone 3 and Ultra Analog VA-3. Seems to work fine for me. 

Did you update to the latest versions of AAS (as this thread stated)? If yes, do me a favour:

Try opening three instances of the Chromaphone 3 in the same session.

Do they all open?

Is there an unusual lag in opening time?

Do they all function correctly when played in the same session?

Cheers.

57 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

For the record, there's always a way to download previous installers from the AAS website, in case all other solutions fail.

• Great Idea 1

4 minutes ago, chris.r said:

For the record, there's always a way to download previous installers from the AAS website, in case all other solutions fail.

Very true. I've already uninstalled all AAS prog.s and reinstalled older installers. This resolved the issue immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Did you update to the latest versions of AAS (as this thread stated)? If yes, do me a favour:

Try opening three instances of the Chromaphone 3 in the same session.

Do they all open?

Is there an unusual lag in opening time?

Do they all function correctly when played in the same session?

Cheers.

Yes. I verified that I was using the same version. First time I load the plugin it takes about 3 seconds to load. When I open it, it takes 3 seconds to open. But then it works just fine. When I close the plugin window then re-open it, it does so immediately. This is the same with the other 3 instances. Once all are loaded and opened at least once, they open immediately when opened again.  I also did this while I had another project already opened with 3 instances of Ultra Analog VA-3.

Keep in mind that I have a fairly new high end PC. 

p.s. The first time I tried to test after reading your post, I had tested Chromaphone 3 and it worked fine. Then I attempted to duplicate the track and Cakewalk crashed (not responding). I closed and re-opened Cakewalk and did the same thing, but this time it didn't crash. First time that happened for me, and all the other times I tested it nothing out of the ordinary happened. This may have been nothing to do with AAS and perhaps because I had just opened Cakewalk for the first time today and tried to do everything fast while other stuff was working in the background and I didn't wait. IDK.

• Thanks 1

In response to this thread I did a few tests.

I have the latest AAS synths installed with CbB 2021.4 Build 145 and my hardware configuration is as per my signature.

Here are the results

I could load only one instance of Chromophone 3 VST3 - the second instance load attempt resulted in Cakewalk locking up (no error message)

I could load only two instances of Chromophone 3 VST2 - the third instance as above.

I got the same result in the latest Sonar Platinum, so it does not look like it's not an issue with the new Cakewalk update.  I was able to load multiple instances of Chromophone 3 VST2 and VST3 in another host (VSTHost).  So it looks like it’s a historical Cakewalk issue.

For the VST2 and VST3 AAS plugins,  in their respective plugin properties, I checked the option "Load using jBridge wrapper" (I have the paid version)

After doing this, I noted the following:

I still could only load two instances of Chromophone 3 VST3

I could load five instances of Chromophone 3 VST2.
Having being able to do that, I configured each instance with a different patch (ones I created).  I recorded a two measure performance on each track.  All tracks played correctly - each with their respective patches.

After this I loaded another five more instances of Chromophone 3 VST2.  That is, I ended up with ten instances of Chromophone 3 VST2 in this test.  The five tracks still played correctly.

Conclusion:

Until this is sorted - either by Cakewalk or AAS, I believe the current workaround is to use the VST2 versions with jBridge Wrapper.

Has someone reported this to Cakewalk support yet?

• Thanks 1

Just loaded up 6 instances of Chromaphone 3 (VST3), all playing at the same time in Cakewalk 2021.01.

No issues here.

Windows 10 Pro 20H2.

Edit: Apologies about this post. It turns out that I was still running v3.0, even though I had downloaded and run the AAS 'all-in-one' installer after the update was released.

Chromaphone 3 v3.1 now causes Cakewalk to 'stop responding' when I try to load a 2nd instance of Chromaphone 3. Several other DAWs that I have now tested this with do not exhibit this behavior. It appears to be related to Cakewalk. And as I mentioned earlier, I am still on the January release of CbB, so it's not related to the new release of CbB.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

OK, so I tested it again. I can load 6 instances (VST3) of Chromaphone 3 and it works fine as long as I am loading them one at a time. If I try to duplicate 6 at once or create six tracks at once then Cakewalk wont respond. So it works for me as long as I don't overwhelm Cakewalk. So I would say that it isn't as efficient as it should be.

I was able to add 6 instances of Arturia Pigments 3 simultaneously or duplicate 5 instances of it. Both scenarios worked just fine. I even tried to load 6 instances all in one go of UVI Falcon and it worked just fine.

P.S. The crashes don't seem to be consistent either. Sometimes it would crash after loading 1 or 3 or 4 all in one go when 6 is selected. But If I am loading a project that has multiple instances of it, than its fine. So I would say that it isn't Cakewalk or my computer not being able to handle it. But rather the plugin not being as efficient as it should be. The fact that I was able to load plugins that I thought would be heavier very easily compared to Chromaphone 3 or Ultra Analog VA-3 says something. 

I did try to load 4 instances of both Chromaphone 3 or Ultra Analog VA-3 all in one go again before posting this and it did work. So I would say that the plugin is just not as reliable with many instances. But it can work. Just be sure to save your work. 😜

Edited by Hillmy
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, AAS plugins behave erratically in the Cakewalk environment. Too many times I've been working on a project, only to have an attempted instance of Chromaphone 3  or Strum bring the session to a halt.  For those so inclined, create a project with some tracks using instruments PRIOR to loading Chrom 3. There is definitely some kind of memory issue, specific to working within CbB. I had hoped the latest updates would address the problem.

• Thanks 1

I just updated my earlier post. Turns out that I wasn't actually running the latest AAS version... shame on me! 😉

Edit: Apologies about this post. It turns out that I was still running v3.0, even though I had downloaded and run the AAS 'all-in-one' installer after the update was released.

Chromaphone 3 v3.1 now causes Cakewalk to 'stop responding' when I try to load a 2nd instance of Chromaphone 3. Several other DAWs that I have now tested this with do not exhibit this behavior. It appears to be related to Cakewalk. And as I mentioned earlier, I am still on the January release of CbB, so it's not related to the new release of CbB.

Edited by abacab

One other thing I noticed is this.

When I checked the Windows Application Event viewer,  There actually were errors that showed up pertaining to the VSThost's loading of Chromophone 3.

So even though the plugin loaded in VSThost, it still triggered an error event there as well.

So this looks like it still could be an AAS issue.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:48 PM, Gnarls said:

AAS plugins behave erratically in the Cakewalk environment. Too many times I've been working on a project, only to have an attempted instance of

It was Angelic Voices and Ultra Analog Session 2 on Studio One for me. 

This was the first time I actually tried to use them.  I installed them.  I played around a little, found some nice sounds, but they kept crashing in Studio One.  Analog Session crashed almost immediately. Angelic Voices lasted long enough to give me hope, but inevitably shat the bed. I finally just gave up and moved on. Way too many other options out there to futz around with this...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Promidi said:

Has anyone actually sent an email off to AAS support?

(I have)

Yes, I sent an email about a week ago....never heard back.....unlike Spitfire who wrote back the next day. 

6 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Yes, I sent an email about a week ago....never heard back.....unlike Spitfire who wrote back the next day. 

Strange, as they normally respond instantly. Checked your spam?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dasmode said:

I wrote in support yesterday, but have not received a response yet.

15 minutes ago, Fleer said:

It’s an official holiday today in many places. 

It's National Crouton Day, so relax... join the observant & eat a salad.

According to https://www.holidayscalendar.com  it's Ascension Day

On 5/7/2021 at 1:48 AM, Gnarls said:

In my experience, AAS plugins behave erratically in the Cakewalk environment. Too many times I've been working on a project, only to have an attempted instance of Chromaphone 3  or Strum bring the session to a halt.

Yeah, same here. Not so much with strum but since the v3's were introduced it has been known for inserting one of those (or using to replace another) to cause a crash for me. Not so often that it's a major league PITA, but I do always make sure to save right before inserting the v3's just in case.

Edited by paulo