All Applied acoustics instruments and effects have been updated (Not a Deal)

Promidi

9 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

The AAS installer will place copies of the VST plugins into the following directories no matter what you ask it to use.  One of them could be the source of any doubles you have...

Beside the paths you mentioned, it's putting the whole collection in my 'C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\' and then it adds the exactly same collection (doubles) in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Applied Acoustics Systems\'. That way they are always scanned twice in one go, I have no idea how to stop it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Beside the paths you mentioned, it's putting the whole collection in my 'C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\' and then it adds the exactly same collection (doubles) in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Applied Acoustics Systems\'. That way they are always scanned twice in one go, I have no idea how to stop it.

Pretty sure you can't stop their installer from it's crazy extra copies.  I just do a search and delete all the extras.  And yes it does stick things in the non-x86 Program Files too.  I think their installer(s) are kind of junk (I don't have ProTools, I don't want AAX plugins, ever).  But that doesn't have anything to do with the crazy crashing problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As a public service, I'll post a link to my A|A|S wiping tutorial. On my systems, The number of  of AAS Player locations in its various unnecessary forms is in the teens. I do the cleanup after installs of any of these products, I have a folder on my desktop with shortcuts to each of the folders so that I can clean them out.

• Thanks 1

I have received a reply from AAS regarding the change logs.  They are as follows:

Of particular note for all:

Dropped support for 32-bit DAWs.
Dropped support for Windows 7 (This did not surprised me)

Note: not supported may not necessarily mean that it does not work - it just means if you contact AAS support, and you say you’re running Windows 7, their first answer will be to update to Windows 10.

Chromaphone 3 v3.1.0

March 30, 2021

Added in this update
•    Apple Silicon (M1) compatibility.
•    Dropped support for Windows 7.
•    Dropped support for macOS 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10.
•    Improved behaviour of Windows installer.

Fixed in this update
•    Fixed possible crash in Logic Pro when removing plug-in from track.
•    The Scala file name wasn't always properly shown in the settings panel.
•    The master tuning frequency could fail to load properly in some DAWs.
•    When a project was loaded in a DAW, the current preset was always shown as "Edited" even if it was not.
•    When resizing the window, vertical alignment of text could be wrong.

Lounge Lizard EP-4 v4.4.0

Added in this update
•    Dropped support for 32-bit DAWs.

Fixed in this update

Objeq Delay v1.3.0

Added in this update

Fixed in this update

String Studio VS-3 v3.2.0

Added in this update

Fixed in this update
Strum GS-2 v2.4.0

Added in this update

Fixed in this update

Ultra Analog VA-3 v3.2.0

Added in this update

Fixed in this update
•    The master tuning frequency could fail to load properly in some DAWs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

30 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I feared twice already what the improved behaviour could mean... more places where the plugins are installed?

On a serious side I can hardly see a benefit from updating for just improved installer behariour :D (have only Chroma.v2 and the sessions).

• Haha 1

All their updated plugins are still crashing on exit/close for me and all I've gotten from them is total silence.  You'd think they would at least tell me they can't reproduce it and that it's my problem.  I wish they had older installers so I could fall back to what I had before this update, when everything worked.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Promidi said:

Added in this update

Fixed in this update

Thus, as long as the current versions run, I will not update anymore! As I do not use Apple quirk, nor do I want to drop 32-bit/Windows 7 support, what would I win else than losing some precious time of my life? Especially with such odd installers that produce a lot of manual work to clean up the chaos!

More and more I have the feeling that I should not update most of my plugins. It just generates a lot of work and mostly there are no real improvements for me!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

So there is a "way" to downgrade the AAS plugins.  It's painful but it can be done and it does fix my crashing issue.  Here's the steps:

You have to uninstall each of the plugins.  If you run the older installer it won't downgrade, so you must uninstall them first.

Then go to https://www.applied-acoustics.com/dl/
and enter your serial number.  The download page that comes up will have a link for "Show all Windows installers"  If you click that it shows you all the version history of the plugin and has links to download each one.  You can then download the previous version (From Jan 2021). 

Not really sure how to roll back the AAS Player just yet though.  And yes this fixed my crash on exit issue.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

All their updated plugins are still crashing on exit/close for me and all I've gotten from them is total silence. 

Now I am not saying there is not an issue at you end, but on my system (configured as per my signature) I am not getting any crashes with any of the updated AAS synths.  They just work - within Cakewalk by Bandlab, a slim host and standalone.

Using CbB, I recorded MIDI into a track with a SIT of String Studio VS-3 v3.2.0.   I played it back, saved, exited and reloaded, played again, then exited.

I then reloaded, replaced that same track's instrument with Chromaphone 3 v3.1.0 (using a dual layer patch).  played, saved, exited and reloaded, played again, then exited.

I did not experience any crashes. Nor have I ever so far

There has got to be something particular about your system that is causing this on your end

Hopefully AAS will get back to you. 

I have actually recently reported a bug with Ultra-Analog-Va3 3.2.0 and they have acknowledged it, and will “ have a fix for that very soon”.

FWIW, you might want to send Cakewalk support a crash dump, to confirm it is the plugin actually causing the crash.   Maybe CbB is interacting with the updated plugin in a way that the new plugin does not like but was tolerated with the previous version.

5 minutes ago, Promidi said:

FWIW, you might want to send Cakewalk support a crash dump, to confirm it is the plugin actually causing the crash.   Maybe CbB is interacting with the updated plugin in a way that the new plugin does not like but was tolerated with the previous version.

The crash happens in Reaper, Nuendo 11, Cubase 10.5 and Ableton Live 10 Suite.  It's not just Cakewalk.  I did send AAS a Cakewalk crash dump (on the idea that since Cakewalk is free they have no excuse for not being able to test it).  I have no doubt it's my system, since I'm running the most recent versions of everything.  Off hand it looks like they are incorrectly shutting down the Microsoft  runtime libraries.

It's also important to note that my computer is configured to trigger a debugger when applications crash.  By default Microsoft has been changing Windows 10 so that apps can crash silently, most likely to lower support issues.  One side effect of this is I do see crashes that other users don't -- but they are still happening.  I don't think that applies here (I think everyone would see this crash, if they had the same versions of the various Windows runtime libraries I do) but it has come up before.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I don't think that applies here (I think everyone would see this crash, if they had the same versions of the various Windows runtime libraries I do) but it has come up before.

I believe I have the latest versions of the various Windows runtime libraries (C++ 2019 14.29.30031)

Of course, my computer is not configured to trigger a debugger when applications crash. So, if a program did silently crash, would an event be generated in the Windows system or application logs?

6 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I believe I have the latest versions of the various Windows runtime libraries (C++ 2019 14.29.30031)

Of course, my computer is not configured to trigger a debugger when applications crash. So, if a program did silently crash, would an event be generated in the Windows system or application logs?

I updated Visual Studio 2019 just before this last week.  I think it's the root cause, since it brought in some new baggage.  That I haven't seemed to have any luck at sorting out.

You can usually see some logs of crashes in the Windows System info app.  Run msinfo32 and look under Software Environment/Windows Error Reporting 
But it doesn't catch everything.

2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I did send AAS a Cakewalk crash dump (on the idea that since Cakewalk is free they have no excuse for not being able to test it).

From a few sources I did see that the AAS guys are no longer in love with Cakewalk, don't know the reasons. Better let them know the crash happens in all DAWs (I'm sure you did).

3 hours ago, chris.r said:

From a few sources I did see that the AAS guys are no longer in love with Cakewalk, don't know the reasons. Better let them know the crash happens in all DAWs (I'm sure you did).

Yeah, they received enough info on the extent of the problem.  But if they can't reproduce it I may just have to live with it.  I did manage to get everything rolled back and it's no longer crashing when doing plugin scans/exiting.  Rolling back the full product plugins wasn't that bad, but AAS Player was a bit harder.  Pretty much had to delete it by hand and reinstall the newest sound pack before this update.   It's possible Microsoft broke this and will also fix it (sooner or later).   Or maybe it's some crazy combination of things I have installed that might also fix it.

@Matthew Sorrels This might not be the same issue, and sorry if you've already mentioned/tried this. I had a problem a while ago where Corel Painter had problems starting up; it turned out that for some reason, two C++ runtimes of exactly the same version had been installed on my PC. It might be worth just checking whether there's something similar going on.

Dropping support for 32-bit DAW's saves a few megs of disk space right there, as they never made that optional.

I sent them a polite plea to cool it with the redundant installations a couple of months ago. I detailed how much needless redundancy there was and fawned about how I love their products. Maybe my communication helped.

And I do, the soundpacks are fantastic, and I got the ObjeqDelay freebie at PB. Just amazing stuff, both the instruments and FX.

Couple of things about whether or not to update: if like me you don't have any of the full instruments and you're using the Player, the soundpack/Swatches sounds have been updated along with the new version of Chromophone. The patches don't sound exactly the same, they use the new engine and have been redone to make use of the new capabilities. They sound bigger and deeper. Also, they typically update Swatches to include samples of whatever soundpacks came out since the last revision.

It all works a treat on my systems, although what I think is a resource leak is still there in lesser form. It now takes a lot longer to manifest. And fortunately it only happens when the plug-in is actively playing back, so unless like me you fall asleep at your workstation with your latest ambient drone looping away (a good sign for that genre), you probably won't see it.