All Applied acoustics instruments and effects have been updated (Not a Deal)

Promidi

All Applied acoustics instruments and effects have been updated.  The current respective versions are now as follows:

Chromaphone 3.............................................v3.1.0     
Lounge Lizard EP-4........................................v4.4.0     
Lounge Lizard Session 4................................v4.4.0     
Objeq Delay....................................................v1.3.0     
String Studio VS-3..........................................v3.2.0     
Strum GS-2.....................................................v2.4.0     
Strum Session 2............................................v2.4.0     
Swatches (AAS Player, all sound packs).......v1.5.0
Ultra Analog Session 2.................................. v2.3.0     
Ultra Analog VA-3............................................v3.2.0

Download links are all here:

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/support/

If you own many of these, it might be easier to download and install the combined installer from your AAS products page (select Custom “All” installers)

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/portal/products/  you will be asked for your AAS login credentials.

• Thanks 10

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Well it's just too difficult for me to find the change log on their site, it seems 🤔

More and more plugin developers have very frequent updates, but do not provide (detailed) change logs! I hate it, because in many cases I don't need their updates (e.g. I don't use Mac, Pro Tools, ...). So it is a waste of time to always migrate my systems.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I have written to AAS and asked for a change log for all of these updates.

Brilliant! I just came back from hard work of cleaning my drives from AAS plugins spammed all over the place (and even twice in my main Vstplugins folder!) and need a shower now. If it's a some OSX maintenance update I simply don't wanna go back there to clean all that stuff again. Please keep us posted :).

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Brilliant! I just came back from hard work of cleaning my drives from AAS plugins spammed all over the place (and even twice in my main Vstplugins folder!) and need a shower now. If it's a some OSX maintenance update I simply don't wanna go back there to clean all that stuff again. Please keep us posted :).

One thing I noticed is, from these latest versions going forward, that they no longer support 32bit systems.

See:

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/support/deprecation-of-32-bit-applications-and-plug-ins/

1 hour ago, Magic Russ said:

Oddly the installer still asks me for 32 bit path.

Probably to remove the 32-bit versions.

My guess is that they remove them so that you don't get into a situation where the plugin can behave differently under different hosts, e.g. the newer 64 bit version in one host, and the older and buggier 32 bit version in another host that can't support the 64 bit version.

6 hours ago, marled said:

More and more plugin developers have very frequent updates, but do not provide (detailed) change logs! I hate it, because in many cases I don't need their updates (e.g. I don't use Mac, Pro Tools, ...). So it is a waste of time to always migrate my systems.

It's amazing when you look through change logs what proportion of time is spent supporting Apple issues.  It makes you wonder what kind of cool stuff the developers could come up with if they didn't have to waste that time supporting Apple's changes.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

So I installed this (I have everything from them including all but 2 of the sound packs).  After installing this CbB promptly crashes on every single plugin during the VST scan.  The call stack doesn't even have the plugin in it.  Looks like some sort of system level thing.  I'm not really sure the new version of the plugin even loaded before VstScan (the app Cakewalk uses to scan plugins in a sandbox) crashed for me.  This is on a fully updated Windows 10 machine (which could be the issue too I suppose).  Looks like more detective work for me.  Hopefully it's just me and this won't effect anyone else.

• Like 1

Nuendo 11 doesn't seem to like the new plugins either.  Blacklisted all the VST2 versions.  The VST3 versions loaded and worked but Nuendo crashed when I quit.  Maybe something about unloading causing the crashes.  I don't see anything on AAS's website about it.  I guess I'm going to uninstall all the plugins (but leave the sound packs) and reinstall.  See if that helps.  Definitely seems more of a system/install/overall issue rather than a bug with a single plugin/etc.  I wish they had an uninstall manager.  Each product is a separate listing in Windows.  Uninstalling all of them is going to take a while.

49 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I wish they had an uninstall manager.  Each product is a separate listing in Windows.  Uninstalling all of them is going to take a while.

Do you know, by a chance, if the AAS plugins have any install paths written in the registry, and where? Maybe my issue with doubles in my Vstplugins folder comes from the installer writing the new path in the registry when I was changing it at some point, but not deleting the old one... it just occurred to me.

Well uninstalling all the plugins, manually deleting everything left over and reinstalling didn't help.  Their installer seems to always put copies of the plugins in a few places, no matter what you pick in the installer.  Namely it places copies of the VST in the Cakewalk, Stienberg, Native Instruments and Avid directories.  Which is crazy but I suspect they do it to try and head off support problems.

It's very possible normal users won't see this crashing since it seems to be when the plugin unloads.  I see it because I have Visual Studio setup as a crash handler, but Windows might just let it crash in the background.

After doing the uninstall and re-install and reseting Cakewalk and having it rescan, it crashed on every AAS plugin (so once for the VST2 and again for the VST3).  But they were added to Cakewalk.  So it's crashing on the exit of the VSTScan.  Not during the scan.   

Inside Cakewalk all the instruments show up and seem to work (VST2 and VST3).  but when I exit Cakewalk after using one, it crashes.  Nuendo 11 works the same way.  Crashes when I exit/quit.

Perhaps normal users without a debugger won't have this problem, but it's definitely broken for me.

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Do you know, by a chance, if the AAS plugins have any install paths written in the registry, and where? Maybe my issue with doubles in my Vstplugins folder comes from the installer writing the new path in the registry when I was changing it at some point, but not deleting the old one... it just occurred to me.

The AAS installer will place copies of the VST plugins into the following directories no matter what you ask it to use.  One of them could be the source of any doubles you have (only the last one is my actual, real VST2 install dir):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-ins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2

I think all the registry stuff is in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Applied Acoustics Systems

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Inside Cakewalk all the instruments show up and seem to work (VST2 and VST3).  but when I exit Cakewalk after using one, it crashes.

This happens to me sometimes with v3 products (not installed this latest update), but only sometimes. It also sometimes happens when I use the replace synth function and replace a non AAS synth with an AAS synth. I haven't bothered to pursue it with anyone at AAS or CW  because win 7, so no prizes for guessing what the first response will be....

Doesn't happen enough for it to be a major issue for me, but thought it might help you to know that it isn't just you or win 10.

I should probably also add that I'm also not on the latest CW version. (2020.09 IIRC)

Edited by paulo