Which of the large software developers treat their customers fairly? (Not a deal)

Marshall

On 4/3/2021 at 4:51 AM, Marshall said:

As I approach retirement my fear is that the subscription model will become the norm. I recognize that from time to time upgrades will be necessary, but I simply cannot afford to add a lot of extra monthly direct debits just to maintain my music making. 

One perspective... there is a definite advantage to having a locked set of tools. You get proficient with what they can do and adapt to what they cannot. Sometimes gaps require other tools, but DSP has matured enough that many upgrade features are hit or miss either from very specific audiences intended for them, or if those tools will actually get used (sometimes yes, sometimes no). Updates can end up wasting time that could be spent making music.

• Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, Fret Flintstone said:

Amen Sir

As for 'single seat' you have the USB stick mentioned above, plus any new plugin you purchase gives you WUP for a year plus a second License, so 2 'seats'. Keep up your WUP and all your plugs will have 2 'seats'

WUP? $19 a week at the most, pffft, and you don't even have to pay it unless you want to, I've personally never seen the problem, never seen the problem with the installation and auth either, easy as, never had a issue.

Waves first plugin, Q10, 1992, still rockin' as strong as ever, how many OS changes has it gone through? how many Windows component changes has it gone through?

One thing about Waves is that it's Plugins will work no matter how old they are, because they keep supporting them, and don't just dump them.

Best support I've ever come across, I had a shop problem, emailed them on a Sunday, had a reply and fix within an hour.

But lets wait for the definitive and final word on all things Waves to turn up, shouldn't be long.

I have Waves v9, v10, and v12 version plugins that will not work unless I WUP and get support.  I don't have this problem with any of the other over 1000 plugins I have, in fact Waves is the only one I've ever had real install and authorization issues with.

I do have over 20 WAVES plugins that do still work, but there are some that don't even though they absolutly should.  

As for paying $19 a week for WUP, that is the most absurd nonsese I can think of.  I can get everything PA has for a fraction of that and get to keep a bunch of them.  They are better than WAVES in every concievable way.  

Even when I was under WUP the support was mediocre at best.  And frandkly I shouldn't need support, I know my way around computers, if something isn't working it is a product issue.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I have Waves v9, v10, and v12 version plugins that will not work unless I WUP and get support. 

I don't know why not? I have v9-12 and have never WUPed and they work - as they SHOULD!  So should yours...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mibby said:

I don't know why not? I have v9-12 and have never WUPed and they work - as they SHOULD!  So should yours...

Fully agree they should....but they don't.

But since I don't have support, my options are uninstall and re-install and that doesn't fix the issues.  And I have the problem with more than one computer.

There's the subscription model phobia going around.  Subs have been around a long time.  The field of competition is large and I think with so many options out there being sub only is a foolish mistake.   There was a time users thought everything would go dongle.   It didn't take long for IK to drop it.   Subs work for Adobe since there are far more people who take pictures than use DAWs.   Reason Studios adopted the Cakewalk "sub" model by offering monthly content.  That's only good for hoarding and less resources used to develop the main product.

2 hours ago, mibby said:

Bogus!  🤬  I assume you're gone through the offline installer and all that crap?

Yep a few times, with that massive download package.  

I basically gave up on it.  I was perplexed when v12 Berzerk distortion stopped working (and I have mroe than one seat for it).  Works on one computer but the other one with multiple installs/uninstalls still doesn't work.

v9 hasnt' worked in years on any machine.

• Sad 1

My experience/opinion.

Have only nice things to say about UVI. Fast and friendly support when I found a bug in their installer, for something that just was a freebie.

WUP seems designed to milk Mac users (that upgrade the OS) and for Windows users it makes installing troubling and bothersome, that is if you don't upgrade, that in most cases gives you no value at all. Support is slow to respond, the products are solid but a lot of it insanely out of date and their scaling solutions laughable. Bundles are still good value and upgrade options make mostly sense, which is rare in this area.

IK Multimedia has given me tremendous value, I haven't used support as far as I remember, but then I work in IT with a lot of experience. But upgrade options for some products, are peculiar.

Akai/Sonivox/AIR, seems to have zero support, cheap products when on sale.

Izotope, customers with their advanced versions, are more or less, not awarded with better upgrade deals compared to other customers. But they are friendly and their products have lots of value.

Plugin Boutique has the best customer web site par none (Plugin Alliance second?). Decent support.

Edited by Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson said:

Plugin Boutique has the best customer web site par none (Plugin Alliance second?). Decent support.

I've always liked Audio Deluxe because I like the layout and navigation on that site. But PB has been getting my business lately in part because of their freebies.   I checked AD as I was writing this, and now they've got and AAS freebie with purchase. Game on!

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/

Edited by mibby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Just a bit sad about JRR. Used to get my fix there. That said, also still like Time+Space. 

I have been shopping again at JRR again too, not for a freebie, but for the cheapest prices.   i.e. if you can find the Kuassa Efektor pedals for cheaper than $12.60 (code: GROUP) somewhere else, please let me know!

https://www.jrrshop.com/kuassa-efektor-rv3604

I'm tapped out ATM, but my plan would be to get one at PB for $15 and a FREEBIE of the month, then get the others at JRR for $12.60 a piece...

• Like 1