The new drums.

Tony Carpenter

I decided not to just tack on to my throne thread. On Monday I said goodbye to my Roland TD17 KVX kit... and hello to this.

Hendrix Bubinga 6 piece 2 up 2 down with Paiste Big beat cymbals mounted on a Yamaha hex stand setup. Last but not least I have a set of 6,8 and 10 original Remo Rototoms.

135AC3BE-C64E-49A7-9553-71BF376492DB.jpeg

• Like 4

Final piece of the puzzle came yesterday. 2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today on Jamulus so far. Mics all work great. Apollo Quad being fed with Unison preamps in play. Matched pair Rode NT55s with cardioid modules on.

2F304D63-34F3-4F33-B77F-894326671445.jpeg

Edited by Tony Carpenter
  • Like 4

Naiz. This is my kit. Zildjian S series cymbals. Mapex Kit same barrel sizes as yours. I added a china under the splash.

20210115_151107.thumb.jpg.694ef33de32298485587898f180aa596.jpg

Mics are:

OH (X/Y), Hats and Ride: Sennheiser e604
Toms: Sennheiser e614
Snare Top: SM57 & Earthworks DM20
Snare Bottom: SM57
Snare Side: 1980s AKG C414 (transformerless)
Kick (left to right): 1970s refurbished D12, Audia-Technica Pro 25, Telefunken M82 (in) & Solomon Sub Mic

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 3

A little sample, I actually have a D112 on Bass Drum and SM57 on snare btw. But this is just iPhone audio for a quick teaser I made. Loving the Bubinga!. Oh and, shattered one of those 5A Vic firths later that day lol. Wife says..  must have hit the drums the wrong way lol... 

Edited by Tony Carpenter
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

(Uh-oh, drum geekery. A topic I can't stay quiet about, to say the least)

Nice looking kits there! Ain't it great to be able to leave it all mic'd up and ready to go?

What are your rack tom diameters? They look a notch smaller than mine.

I am a vintage drum nut. I'll see if I can find a presentable photo of my 1970 Slingerland New Rock (12, 13, 16, 20) outfit. Cymbals are all vintage A Zildjian save for one Sabian AA Thin Crash on the right side over the floor tom (I love my backhanded crash). Gotta have lightweight hats, I foot splash and "pssht" a lot. I bought up a few old A Zildjian sets on CL and picked out the 2 lightest. The ideal cymbal sound for me is Ed Shaughnessy.

I have a small collection of vintage snares, my desert island one is (ohhhh, ohhhh) me Acrolite. Rotated in and out are a COB Gene Krupa Sound King (original to the kit), an 80's 6.5" Ludwig Rocker, and a WFL Barrett Deems (later known as the Ludwig Jazz Festival, the Ringo snare). Wrap on the Slingies is Blue Agate, the WFL is gold on black duco.

Sometimes I rack up an old Rogers COB timbale to the left of my snare. This was easier when I was using my Rogers Supreme big R hi hat stand, I could mount it on that. It's fun for little latin or ska accents.

Cymbal stands are flat-based DW, with a Slingerland hi-hat stand. I, too, rock the DW5000 kick pedal. Mine is a strap drive frankenpedal, started as a 2000's DW, modded with earlier DW and Camco components. Strap is Gibraltar's kevlar.

Sticks are Vic Firth American Jazz AJ4's. The tips really flatter a ride cymbal.

Tony: whoa, got those rack toms cranked. I tune lower. My first drum idol was Ringo, then Moon and Graeme Edge, thud tuners all. If I can get my snare to sound like the legendary "Nights in White Satin" THWACK, that's when I know I've done well. Pinstripes on the tom batters, sometimes even damping rings. Ambassador with gel on the snare. Boom we like, ring, not so much. Re-rings and vintage round-ish bearing edges on the shells help further this goal.

Ed: I think your set of kick drum mics exceeds my entire mic locker. I mic mine with a single dynamic pointed at an angle to the beater impact spot (reso head intactica). I'm kinda "less is more" with my drum mic setup. Single mics pointed at batters of snare and kick, matched overheads in "Recorderman" configuration. I've tried tom tom mics and reso head mics on snare and kick, but found they are  more trouble than they're worth. It turns into a Gatey Watey rabbit hole and I find myself spending twice as long mixing, to pretty much the same result.

• Like 1

My drumming career was sort lived in a very low keyed Country Band...My speed limit for 1/4 note hi hats was 150BPM. 

My kit is a no name Japanese solid maple plywood, only one rack tom which is all I can manage anyhow. I also bought a basic Yamaha digital kit to record midi. I had no room for both so the kit went to my sons for 6 years. I just got it back the other day. I'm looking forward to building it up using both the digital and the real kit pieces. 

It will be optimized for recording that way. I'll use the midi kick and plan on putting a trigger on my real snare but I will use all real cymbals with mikes. This way I'll have only 3 mikes and then all the midi tracks. I find the weak point of VST drums is the  snare and cymbals. KIck and toms are fine. 

Love those Roto toms. 

• Like 1

@Starship Krupa  I am very happy to leave things setup yes :). The Hendrix Bubinga kits sounds awesome. I have a 10 and 12 on my Yamaha Hex 2 rack along with all the cymbals, Paiste 2002 Big Beats, 15 inch hi-hat, combo crash ride, 18, 20 and 22 inch.  I then have a 14 and 16 on the floor. The Rototoms are awesome, and original Remo, picked them up for a great price, just needed new skins. I am trying to work out a way to mount them off my Hex rack or closer to a normal use scenario. I have had some nice comments on Jamulus with them so far, including I have them sounding like they are in the room with me, nice considering I am a TOTAL noob at X/Y mic technique. Thankfully others have helped me get it right.

In the last 2 days I got a SM35 Shure headset with the inline preamp. First time using a condenser headset. Singing I can do, hearing myself in the Beyerdynamic DT100 at 400 ohms is challenging. I am driving them off a headphone amp, I get a better level from my SE425 Shure IEMs, but those lack bottom end of course.. what to do... 

I need to change out my skins, I've got a full set of Evans G2 and a G1 snare skin ready. Since I made that video, on iPhone :), I have retuned ALL my drums and brought them lower and made sure I got closer to my normal sound I am used to. 

Pedal wise, DW5000 single chain for bass drum and a DW3000 hi-hat stand.  Nicest investment after coming back to acoustic drums has definitely been the Yamaha HEX rack 2. Saves a TON of space too!.

I'll make a new short video soon, I just think I'll change to those Evans first, I am not enamoured with the single ply that came on the kit. 

Edited by Tony Carpenter

On 4/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, Tony Carpenter said:

I need to change out my skins, I've got a full set of Evans G2 and a G1 snare skin ready.

An Evans man then. My favorite heads are Aquarian. Especially the Super Kick II and coated snare batter (just the best for brushes). The built-in damping ring on the SK II makes it so I don't have to stick laundry inside the bass drum. Bass reso is an Aquarian Vintage. I use a felt strip on the bass reso head.

Single chain on the DW. That's my other favorite configuration, with the round "Turbo" sprocket. I found out early on that the standard heavy double chain and standard heavy footboard don't allow fast enough rebound for me to do heel-toe doubles. Too much inertia. I think they changed the footboard in the late '90's because the stompers were breaking too many of them. The "Accelerator" sprocket is also troublesome, I think they designed it for more leverage so that the aforementioned stompers could hit harder.

As you might guess from my handle, I'm a fan of jazz drumming styles, where you need to be able to "feather" your bass hits. The standard present day DW5000 with the double chain, Accelerator sprocket and heavier footboard doesn't seem to be built for that. A few years back, DW issued the 6000 series, which is a return to the earlier style, with the radius rod and no baseplate. I like the baseplate for lateral stability, so the only way I could get the combination of features I wanted was to Frankenstein it together from parts. Modern DW5000 baseplate, Delta II hinge, and goalposts for stability and adjustability, Camco footboard and strap cam for finesse.

Re: tuning. I don't know what your method is, but from the start, I've relied on iDrumTune Pro. The lug tuning feature is fantastic for getting rid of unwanted overtones. The creator's philosophy of tuning tends toward more sustain and resonance, but I've found that I can go the other direction if I want to get less ring. In this way, I don't feel the need to put gels on my toms.

Edited by Starship Krupa

Yep, G1 coated snare. G2 Toms. Emad on batter bass. I’ve used Aquarius before too though, was nice. I think I had it on my Gretsch maple renown kit.

I have used DrumTune Pro since that video was done.  Plus I use my ears :). That video was right after I initially got setup almost. There’s been lots of mucking around since.

Funny story, never had a spring tension adjustment on previous hi-hat stands like one on DW3000, finally learned how to use it today. Hi-hat is much friendlier for foot action now… DOH..  :)

Edited by Tony Carpenter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...