Octave repeating effect for a MIDI track?

·⛤·

Question

How can I make a piece of MIDI track sound as if each note were doubled an octave lower, but without adding new note events to the track?

Please see the first attached image. In Cakewalk, the track is played back with the Windows default MIDI synthesizer, and it’s assigned the Accordion program. I want to mimic a mode (available with a register switch on a real accordion) where each written note actually sounds as a charmonic octave, with the second note added an octave lower.

I can just double the notes, as shown on the second image, and this sounds satisfactory for my goals, but the staff (and the piano roll as well) becomes a mess and looks misleading, since I’m actually pressing double keys on the accordion, not quadruple ones.

Is there an effect or another way to make the piece play back according to the second image while keeping actual MIDI notes according to the first?

01.png

02.png

6 answers to this question

There is no need to apply any effect destructively.

Insert the plug-in to the MIDI FX rack located in the MIDI track or the MIDI tab in the instrument track inspector or in the clip FX rack. When added this way, it will not appear as data in the track.

Yes, there will be a very slight delay. After all, the plug-in must process the data. This can be as little as 1ms or 1 tick.

It is possible with additional tracks using Transpose MFX to add the extra data either by cloning and linking the original clips or creating  master MIDI track and routing the data using a plug-in with a MIDI through feature described in several threads like this one

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scook said:

@scook, are you referring to the plugin that is available with right click → Process Effect → MIDI Effects → Uncategorized → Echo Delay? It just creates actual additional notes on the track, as shown on my second image, and I cannot set Delay value to 0, it turns to 1 automatically.

03.png

On 3/31/2021 at 10:20 AM, Promidi said:

Articulation maps can do this.

Thank you @Promidi, I was unfamiliar with articulation maps before, and it took some effort for me to make sense of them. But I figured out that it’s a powerful tool that streamlines MIDI editing dramatically.