Jump to content
Magic Russ

IK Power Reels Krazy Deal

Recommended Posts

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=10564

Quote

 

Power Reels Krazy Deal

6 tape-based plug-ins for the price of 1

Through April 12, IK Multimedia is offering 83% off our popular T-RackS tape processors for Mac/PC. For this Krazy Deal, we've combined two tape-based delays and four tape machines into one Power Reels Collection.

The allure of tape machines is easy to understand – the iconic character is part of the sonic signature of so many of the greatest songs ever recorded. And now you can get six incredible tape machine recreations at once, for one low price.

 

Space Delay
Tape echo offers a unique sonic signature, and perhaps no unit offers a more recognizable sound than the Roland® RE-201 Space Echo™. Now you can enjoy the endlessly flexible controls and the instantly recognizable organic sound of this classic delay unit.

Tape Echo
The Tape Echo is a faithful recreation of the highly sought-after Echoplex EP3 tape delay. The original unit made its appearance in 1969 and was immediately adopted by musicians and guitar players as the standard for delay effects.

4 Iconic Analog Tape Machines
The Power Reels Collection gives you the true sound of four classic tape machines: Ampex 440B, Studer A80 Mk II, Revox PR99 Mk II, and Sony MCI JH24, each one adding its own unique warmth and character to digital tracks through a careful mix of convolution and physical modeling.

Take advantage of the incredible value of the Power Reels Collection to make better music now. Visit the Online Store for IK's Power Reels Krazy Deal.

Discounted IK Music Software:
Power Reels Collection - $/€579.94 $/€99.99

Although IK strives to provide accurate product and pricing information, unintentional pricing or typographical errors may occur. Prices do not include taxes/VAT. IK reserves the right to correct, change or update information such as pricing, availability and product descriptions, at any time without notice. Promotion valid through April 12, 2021.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 There’s  no further discount if you own 4 or 5 of them already so I’ll pass.

.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Tape Machines are not very useful as they crush CPU cycles into dust. If they were efficient they would get used all the time but they're too hungry for regular use. Having a Studer multi-track that can't be inserted on more than one or two tracks before dropout is silly. They do sound really good, though.

I grabbed them all during the group buy last year and really want to use them more but the furnace can't burn enough coal for them to run.

Edited by Tommy Byrnes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely heavy on CPU, but sound good, made even excellent. Need more time with them.

The delays aren't as taxing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Definitely heavy on CPU, but sound good, made even excellent. Need more time with them.

The delays aren't as taxing.

I've used the Tape Echo for years and it's probably the first delay I reach for. It is easy on the CPU for sure and is so creamy and yummy. 

I put a UAD Ampex ATR-102 on the 2-Bus on every mix, which really sounds great and feels like pushing signal into tape. I have a bunch of other tape emulations for tracks or busses but I would love to be able to use the IK Tape Machines in a more universal way and on more tracks because they do sound wicked good. It would be great if IK addresses the CPU usage and brings them in line with other tape emulations, like Softube Tape and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

The Tape Machines are not very useful as they crush CPU cycles into dust.

It's true that they're very CPU heavy, but I find that a single instance of Tape Machine 24 on the master bus adds a sprinkling of magic and doesn't grind my DAW to a halt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cool. but..

giphy.gif

i already have 2 of the tapes plus tape echo. .. we sit and we wait for group buy baby!!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, antler said:

It's true that they're very CPU heavy, but I find that a single instance of Tape Machine 24 on the master bus adds a sprinkling of magic and doesn't grind my DAW to a halt.

yup. thats how i used it. i think it would be nuts to add an instance of it on each track. but what do i know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

yup. thats how i used it. i think it would be nuts to add an instance of it on each track. but what do i know.

I do that as well with several different ones.  Along with the IK Tape Machines I use the Waves J37 and Kramer Tape (both are also wonderful as a tape delay), Softube Tape, UAD Ampex ATR-102 and a couple of others.  They all have different flavors though the UAD feels the most like real  tape.

The idea of recreating an analog recording chain in the box is to use a tape sim on each track or bus/aux track/sub-group along with console/preamp/hardware emulations.  The results can be striking if the tracks are gain-staged properly with the right input-output levels going into each plugin and then hitting the tape as one would with a real deck.  

I've been mixing a reggae/roots rock record that the band tracked in my studio. We did most of the tracking live through UAD Apollo console emulations (mostly the Helios 69 and the SSL. The Helios is a gem) and recorded through the plugins into CbB.  We're recreating the chain during mixdown with a tape sim at the end of the chain, like going from a desk to the tape machine. It sounds wicked good. That said, it is also easy to ruin a mix pretty quick if not used judiciously. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

I do that as well with several different ones.  Along with the IK Tape Machines I use the Waves J37 and Kramer Tape (both are also wonderful as a tape delay), Softube Tape, UAD Ampex ATR-102 and a couple of others.  They all have different flavors though the UAD feels the most like real  tape.

The idea of recreating an analog recording chain in the box is to use a tape sim on each track or bus/aux track/sub-group along with console/preamp/hardware emulations.  The results can be striking if the tracks are gain-staged properly with the right input-output levels going into each plugin and then hitting the tape as one would with a real deck.  

I've been mixing a reggae/roots rock record that the band tracked in my studio. We did most of the tracking live through UAD Apollo console emulations (mostly the Helios 69 and the SSL. The Helios is a gem) and recorded through the plugins into CbB.  We're recreating the chain during mixdown with a tape sim at the end of the chain, like going from a desk to the tape machine. It sounds wicked good. That said, it is also easy to ruin a mix pretty quick if not used judiciously. 

what do you mean by Apollo emulations? Are you using apollo interface?

 

btw.. feel free to post sample clips.. i would be curious to hear the results as i dont know if i am using tape sims properly. i get meh results..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

what do you mean by Apollo emulations? Are you using apollo interface?

 

btw.. feel free to post sample clips.. i would be curious to hear the results as i dont know if i am using tape sims properly. i get meh results..

Yep, using an Apollo interface, which lets me print the UAD effects during recording.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

The idea of recreating an analog recording chain in the box is to use a tape sim on each track or bus/aux track/sub-group along with console/preamp/hardware emulations.

The only plugin I can do this with that doesn't grind my PC to a halt (though admittedly I haven't tried that many different plugins) is Overloud TapeDesk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mcmd said:

$84 at Best Service

https://www.bestservice.com/power_reels_collection.html

Add another product to get over $100

kiloHearts, Resonator...$6

Apply coupon #CHICK20 for $20 off

 

For me I had to spend $114 because to use discount code it required a spend of 99 euros not dollars to take advantage of 20 euro coupon.  Did it work for you in dollars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, antler said:

The only plugin I can do this with that doesn't grind my PC to a halt (though admittedly I haven't tried that many different plugins) is Overloud TapeDesk.

AirWindows ToTape does it easily

ToneBoosters Reelbus v4 seems fairly light for a Tape Emu also

 

The IK Tape Machines sound great, but I'm with other posters pretty big CPU hog where I'm looking at only BUS work.  I also don't need ALL of those machines, I'd love for just the singles to go on a nice sale.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 5:24 PM, Magic Russ said:

(...) And now you can get six incredible tape machine recreations at once, for one low price.

I've got TapeEcho and the four Tape machines already so it looks like it's just one plugin for the price of one for me, hmm... 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

The idea of recreating an analog recording chain in the box is to use a tape sim on each track or bus/aux track/sub-group along with console/preamp/hardware emulations.

I agree that slapping Tape Machine 24 on every track would be the best scenario but with it taxing CPU as much one would need to upgrade to the quantum-CPU to make it even start working.

Maybe if IK allowed us putting an instance on each track but then mixing them all internally into a single instance in the background, that's a similar idea to what sknote's Strip is doing (plus it's adding some fancy crosstalk and whatnot), but in that form it's already not far from just using a bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...