Plugin Alliance Mega Sale (until Apr 3)

mibby

2 hours ago, Fret Flintstone said:

Say NO to subscriptions - Help stop the rise of the Machine

I'm with you, but the PA thing isn't really a subscription. It's more of a "payment plan" with a 1 year demo of everything.  So you really get to try before you buy. 

13 hours ago, mibby said:

Do you have to use the voucher all in one purchase or do you get "credits" you can spend anytime afterwards? (Too lazy yo look it up, sorry.)

When I read the Ts & Cs last (which was a while ago), you have to use it all in one go.

3 hours ago, antler said:

When I read the Ts & Cs last (which was a while ago), you have to use it all in one go.

That's what I was thinking too. But after a year of using them, you should be able to put together a pretty decent list.  Still, a very clever twist on a "subscription"...

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 2:34 PM, Soundwise said:

ENGL E765 RT is awesome. One of my favorite amp-sims so far.

It's not bad but it's not hitting that wow threshold for me.
What's (if you don't mind me asking) is your signal chain setup?

Edited by TheSteven

1 hour ago, Marat said:

Now the voucher works as many times as you want... Ready, steady, go! 😀

Thank you! I just did that two more times and now I have a third free plugin and one after voucher that cost me only $9.99,  LOL! 😂😮😎

The two are UA Fault and UA SpecOps. :D Making that 4 plugins all together and only paid $9.99! 🤪

Edited by Hillmy
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:58 AM, Paul Young said:

I'm still stupid on how to use a compressor despite watching tutorial.

Here's one of my recipes: open an instance of that MCompressor you upgraded a couple of months ago on whatever material you want to compress. Try a vocal or guitar track where the player isn't already using tons of compression. Set it up for 4:1 ratio, 5mS attack, 100mS release. Hard knee, peak not RMS. Now adjust the threshold so that the vertical line in the MCompressor metering window is "dancing" back and forth across the angled horizontal line, right at the knee. Switch it in and out of bypass and adjust the output gain to compensate for the compressor's overall gain reduction. You're looking for about 4dB or so of gain reduction. Then park your cursor arrow on the bypass button, close your eyes, and click it a few times, listening for the difference it makes.

That's one of my starting points for when I want to use a compressor to make something "pop." Another thing: They have multiple uses. Compressors were originally designed to pack more signal into limited bandwidth, but they're also used to alter amplitude envelopes in sonically pleasing ways. It was important to me to distinguish between those two uses when I was learning, because I needed that to understand the advice people gave me. There's a psychoacoustic effect, our ears have their own built-in compression that clamps down on transients, and compressors can be set up to mimic that and trick our ears into getting the impression that we're being exposed to a louder sound than we actually are. Think of an explosion in a movie, it sounds really loud, but it doesn't hurt your ears because there's a compressor (a limiter, too) on it smoothing down the spikes.

I found/find MCompressor to be the best for understanding compression because it's designed to be as free as possible from character and coloration. When I click back and forth I'm not digging the "mojo" it's adding. It's a favorite of mine for individual instruments for that reason, when I don't want "mojo" to build up.

Here's a video that I've watched multiple times. It's about using them for sound shaping, how to listen for what they're doing:

34 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Damn haha the code working repeatedly convinced me to buy the Lindell TE-100 tube EQ, as well as Metric AB and Knifonium... $70 USD spent. 

They were counting on feeding the GAS! Which is why I bought a 5th plugin for $30! 😆

• Haha 1