How to record system audio or "What U Hear" with CWBBL?

Muzician

"What You Hear" is a function of your computer's built-in hardware and operating system.  For example on this laptop I had  a "What You Hear" option with Windows 7 but lost the option when I upgraded to Windows 10. 

It may help us answer your question if you shared some computer information.  Most important, when you open the Windows Control Panel and select Audio do you see a What You Hear option under the recording tab?  If the What You Hear Option isn't present in Windows, Cakewalk by BandLab can't use it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

"What You Hear" is a function of your computer's built-in hardware and operating system.  For example on this laptop I had  a "What You Hear" option with Windows 7 but lost the option when I upgraded to Windows 10. 

It may help us answer your question if you shared some computer information.  Most important, when you open the Windows Control Panel and select Audio do you see a What You Hear option under the recording tab?  If the What You Hear Option isn't present in Windows, Cakewalk by BandLab can't use it.

I'm using Win10 patched up from 7. When I open the Control Panel there isn't an "Audio" selection as such.  I can get into System Devices of course. 

It can be done with Audacity under Win10 so presumably a much more sophisticated app like CW should be able to do it. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is why you see more and more interfaces coming out with a loop back feature. I have it on my Motu M4 and at first didn’t think I would need it. But this has become a useful feature for screen capture. I can stay in ASIO mode. 
in the past I had to rig up a small mixer etc. 
On board audio is very limited in what you can do.  
Audacity probably has the ability to record “what you hear “ by default because it’s a wave editor not a true daw. Wave lab and Gold Wave also can record direct from your computers audio output.  Most likely reason is the developers new people would be needing this. 
Cakewalk can only use what is available in Windows audio settings under the input/microphone options. None of my computers have a loop back available for on board audio  

If your lucky enough to have it Then you use WASAPI shared mode to show those inputs in Cakewalk. It’s obvious that outputs will not show up as inputs. But the loop back/ what you hear feature is part of the on board audio driver not Cakewalk. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...