Noob here, audio issues, crackling, one ear, no sound (vocals)

Kyle725

Hello!

So I'll try to make this short. I was using the windowed version of cakewalk with little to no issues for a few months. I eventually bought a new pc, and now both my new and old pc are giving me tons of issues with both the full Cakewalk, and the windowed version.  I am only doing vocals

I'm not computer or tech savvy, so I apologize if this is simple stuff. I'm not going to use the windowed version anymore, as it lacks tons of features and is giving me issues, its not worth the hassle, but for the full Cakewalk Bandlab:

In WASAPI shared I get a constant crackling and popping sound, and on my old pc no sound at all, in MME I get sound, but there's like what sounds to be an electrical noise that's either constant or loud when I hit play or record, and it only comes out on ear. I can see on the track it's only recording the top of it and not the bottom, also in MME it doesn't give me the option to choose any output besides the audio box, my speakers don't show up. (Keep in mind I barely know what WASAPI or MME even really are)

I've tried making sure all my drivers are up to date, I've made sure, as far as I can tell, that all my audio is set to the same sample rate (44100), I've tried using usb mics directly into PC, I've tried using an Audio box to plug an actual mic into, and still the issues persist. I've also tried using different headphones, headphone ports, usb ports, monitors and speakers, and even 2 different pcs, but the issues are always the same.

Any ideas? 

From searching the forums and web it seems most people fix the issue going MME, but MME again has electrical noise and only one ear (by electrical noise I mean like a BZZZT sound). It sounds like WASAPI shared is the best one to use, but I get no sound, or I get extreme crackling and popping which makes it impossible to listen to or sing to. 

I have no clue what to do. I was supposed to have all my vocals done by March, and it's basically April. The annoying part is I can get everything done in very few takes, but the actual program issues are using up a tremendous amount of my time.  I dont know if you need my new pc's specs, but this is it: 

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-strix-gaming-pc-black-amd-ryzen-5-3600x-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-geforce-rtx-2060-super/14431177?icmp=Recos_3across_tp_sllng_prdcts&referrer=PLP_Reco

Thanks in advance, this is driving me insane.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

I'm using Audiobox usb from PreSonus, I'll test it out tomorrow, but I'm positive I tried changing to all the options (WASAPI shared, exlusive, MME, ASIO) but I will try doing it again.

I was getting these issues just using a usb mic without the audio interface, but my input kept resetting to 100 and I was peaking the mic like crazy. I looked into that and all of it's settings as well, but it would just change the input volume back to full randomly.  That's when forums suggested getting an interface, and that interface did fix the input issue, but now I'm stuck with these sound problems. 

16 hours ago, bdickens said:

You need to use ASIO.

Also, you need to make sure that other apps running in the background aren't interrupting what you're doing.  Antivirus are some of the worst.

I switched it to ASIO, but it's still only recording one half, but ASIO doesn't detect anything other than the Audiobox as output, my speakers don't show up at all. Should I be using the audiobox for in and output? I don't currently have a large headphone jack on me at the moment, so I can't try yet, but the track is definitely only recording the top half (if that makes sense) so it looks like it will only come out one ear still.  

23 minutes ago, Kyle725 said:

the track is definitely only recording the top half

This is expected when recording the left channel of the interface on a stereo track in the DAW.

Set the input on the track in the DAW to the left channel along with mono interleave

ASIO mode uses onw I/O driver at a time. The speakers need to be attached to the interface if they are going to be used with the DAW running in ASIO mode.

4 minutes ago, scook said:

This is expected when recording the left channel of the interface on a stereo track in the DAW.

Set the input on the track in the DAW to the left channel along with mono interleave. 

ASIO mode uses onw I/O driver at a time. The speakers need to be attached to the interface if they are going to be used with the DAW running in ASIO mode.

Ah that makes total sense with the speakers, thanks.

So I put the input on the track to LeftAudioBoxASIODriverIN 1?

I'm not sure where to find mono interleave

Should I use the interface for in and out, or plug my speakers into interface and then my headphones?