Jump to content
Stephen Ajewole

Gui update for sonitus plugins

Recommended Posts

Agreed. Before messing with the UI, I would rather see 64bit VSTs. Either way, this is not a priority in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 2:52 AM, Grem said:

Use the Sonitus plugins. They are free. And sound just as good as anything out there. Just don't expect them to get an update UI.

Assome one who has used MAGIX's Plug-Ins (the ones bundles with VEGAS Pro and Samplitude), this statement is definitely false. 

But they may still be good enough for newbies. 

The Audio Plug-Ins in Resolve Fairlight are better, as well. 

Don't think the UI is a priority. 

Edited by SomeGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SomeGuy said:

Assome one who has used MAGIX's Plug-Ins (the ones bundles with VEGAS Pro and Samplitude), this statement is definitely false. 

But they may still be good enough for newbies. 

 

I may not be a profession sound man. Or work as a recording engineer. But I know, as well as many other pro's on this forum, these plugins can sound just as good as anything out there now. Prove me wrong.

You don't have to be a noob to use them.  Articles have been written by professionals that still use these plugins today.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+ 1 to what @Grem said. Anyone who can't get world class results out of the Sonitus suite needs to look at their skills rather than the tools.

I've got a pretty fair list of international releases behind me now and they're still my bread and butter plugins because they just work. Of course there's other plugins that sound great which I also like to use, and if you're after a "character" plugin, these aren't for that - they simply do what's written on the tin and get out of the way.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 6:20 AM, sjoens said:

"Oh really? How'd u do that? "

I use Restorator but there are others that can open DLL files. If a DLL contains a Bitmap (BMP) or PNG folder, you can use the resource editor to copy them to your HDD where you can repaint them. Then reinsert the image files back into the DLL and save it. Always save a copy of the original DLL somewhere safe.

i was going to suggest that if you don't know how to do that, then it's probably not for you ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

i was going to suggest that if you don't know how to do that, then it's probably not for you ;)

 

Definitely! : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do so at your own risk and always make a backup of anything changed.

TA - If you don't know how to do it, you probably won't. 

TA - It's really quite easy and straight forward.

FWIW - Mixcraft, Samplitude, DP, and many other DAWs have open folders for their GUI files. No "hacking" required.

Edited by sjoens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 8:36 PM, Grem said:

I may not be a profession sound man. Or work as a recording engineer. But I know, as well as many other pro's on this forum, these plugins can sound just as good as anything out there now. Prove me wrong.

You don't have to be a noob to use them.  Articles have been written by professionals that still use these plugins today.

It's easy to say "Prove me Wrong", because you can always just say it sounds no different to you...  Your ears are not on my head, but the plug-ins in Samplitude do sound better, and many Professional sound engineers have stated so... This is not just a case of skill being the roadblock.

Someone saying iZotope RX  is better than Sonitus Gate is not saying that simply because they aren't "skilled enough" to get equivalent results.  Algorithms etc. differ between the two.  MAGIX simply has better code.  Their Audio Engine in Samplitude is also better than Cakewalk, and that has nothing to do with "skill."  It's just better.

Many professionals have stated that the MAGIX Plug-Ins are on par with  3rd party plugins that cost hundreds...  And what is your point?  Those articles were probably written several years ago, anyways 😛

The bundled effects in Resolve Fairlight are also really good (for those of us who do post-production). 

Edited by SomeGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stated: And sound just as good as anything out there.

 

I stand by that statement.

 

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. : )

Edited by Grem
Add smiley : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do izotope make some superior sounding gate or something 😂I've got samplitude and it's got a decent gate I'll say that but no better than the sonitus one.  You'd be way better off using izotope than samplitude noise reduction effects I would say-- they are showing their age-- might still be good enough for newbies though 😀

Edited by backwoods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to this thread, I decided to re-audition a couple of the Sonitus effects.  First the delay... fine, has a few nice features but nothing spectacular.  Second the Modulation... It held up a bit better than I remembered.  The reverb also sounded decent.  The EQ I had used a fair amount (it used to be embedded in the tracks before they came out with the Pro Channel, starting at Sonar 3 or so)

The compressor I was not impressed with.  I had a clip of acoustic guitar which I had recorded from my soundhole pickup into my Komplete Audio 6 instrument input.  As recorded, it was quieter than I wanted, thin, and didn't have a consistent volume.  

My first thought was to try a compressor on it.  I have a few, and was going through my list to see what sounded best.  Most helped to varying degrees, except for the Sonitus one.  It just made the guitar sound thinner and screechier.

For the most part, though, I gave up on Sonitus around the time that the Kjaerhus classic line came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the GUI of the sonitus plugins is pretty low priority. IMHO there's too much emphasis on trying to make VST's look like "real" gear, often at the expense of usability. Turning knobs with a mouse isn't the most intuitive thing, whereas sliders and graphical envelopes are perfect for a mouse.

If anything, making the GUI slightly bigger would be nice, but apart from that the interface works well for me and they sound great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

For me the GUI of the sonitus plugins is pretty low priority. IMHO there's too much emphasis on trying to make VST's look like "real" gear, often at the expense of usability. Turning knobs with a mouse isn't the most intuitive thing, whereas sliders and graphical envelopes are perfect for a mouse.

If anything, making the GUI slightly bigger would be nice, but apart from that the interface works well for me and they sound great.

I must admit that I am one of these ordinary, simple guys who likes if Vsts look like "real" gear! 😄 I hate those old-fashioned or modern abstract plugin interfaces.

And I do not agree that knobs are not intuitive (I prefer them absolutely over sliders). It depends only how you can tweak them, e.g. I like if I can set them with the mouse wheel and with shift+wheel for fine tuning (even if there is a lot of difference on different plugins). There are remarkable good solutions with even some free plugins (e.g. TokyoDawnLabs, SleepyTime)! What I agree is that setting knobs with mouse up/down is really bothersome, but for me the worst thing is the implementation where you click on a knob position to set it. But if the plugin sounds well, then I use it nevertheless!

Never mind, Mark! It's only my opinion and maybe (or sure) I am very exotic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, marled said:

I must admit that I am one of these ordinary, simple guys who likes if Vsts look like "real" gear! 😄 I hate those old-fashioned or modern abstract plugin interfaces.

And I do not agree that knobs are not intuitive (I prefer them absolutely over sliders). It depends only how you can tweak them, e.g. I like if I can set them with the mouse wheel and with shift+wheel for fine tuning (even if there is a lot of difference on different plugins). There are remarkable good solutions with even some free plugins (e.g. TokyoDawnLabs, SleepyTime)! What I agree is that setting knobs with mouse up/down is really bothersome, but for me the worst thing is the implementation where you click on a knob position to set it. But if the plugin sounds well, then I use it nevertheless!

Never mind, Mark! It's only my opinion and maybe (or sure) I am very exotic!

I definitely agree that some knob implementations are better than others.

Maybe I came across too strong about the "real" look of VSTs - in fact, if it is an emulation of an existing bit of gear I prefer it to have the real-gear look, because you can use it as if it was the original... and in those cases, a knob makes total sense if it was a knob on the original. 

And I'm certainly not against good artwork on a plugin, as long as it doesn't affect its usability.

There's the other end of the scale too, where the "functional" look is taken too far  - take some of the Melda Production plugins for example... some of the GUI's leave me looking all over the place to find the parameters as everything looks the same. I do love the sound of the Melda stuff though.

I guess what I'm looking for is a sensible balance between looks and ease of use.

With the sonitus stuff, the look is a bit bland, but for me it doesn't affect functionality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...