The Beato Ear Training Program

Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

>

1 hour ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

A complete and systematic approach to improving your relative pitch

I have great respect for Rick but...
Did he actually finish the course yet?  When I checked a month or so ago nearly half the course was as of yet not created.

Now, this looks like a plain old music theory course disguised to not look like one.

Also, there are some strange things:

image.png.adcefaa0dca41826e66f36cdaa66c276.png

You get the first fourteen chapters, but the bold ones are free of charge? how that works? Also, the bold chapters amount to fifteen modules. Is there a 21st module we're not seeing? What are you paying for? 5 chapters? Someone really needs to make a better landing page.

I don't know Rick's qualification's on these things but...The educational content I've seen posted on his YouTube page is quite mediocre in many aspects.

Bold ones are ‘done’ others don’t exist yet.
So there has been some progress since last time I checked.
- I bought in during the end of year sale (same price or close) which was still going at least into Feb.
I'll have to dial in later and check things out again.  At the point in time I last checked (late Jan/early Feb) there were 0 interactive training modules.

Edit:
0 is a little harsh, he does have numerous training videos and practice drills (identify the interval, triad, etc.) He does have his over/under exercise which appears to be an excellent one that I need to be doing.
I really need to get further into his program before I can give it a realistic critique.

If you're a bit rusty on this stuff Rick's course will probably frustrate the crap out of you (or maybe it will incentivize you...) - it did both for me.
I'm not giving up but I'm using another app to resharpen my ears before I go back and give it another wack.

Edited by TheSteven

31 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

There's another extremely effective way of doing ear training that doesn't cost anything: transcribing music.

+1
but  that's kind of hard to do while you're waiting for a traffic light or your zoom meeting to start - the Tenuto phone app is great for using those moments that would otherwise go to waste for tweaking your ears.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheSteven said:

+1
but  that's kind of hard to do while you're waiting for a traffic light or your zoom meeting to start - the Tenuto phone app is great for using those moments that would otherwise go to waste for tweaking your ears.

I find ironic that you paid quite a lot for an ear training course when you can't even be bothered to dedicate time for something like transcribing, having to squeeze it in between busy hours as an afterthought.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I find ironic that you paid quite a lot for an ear training course when you can't even be bothered to dedicate time for something like transcribing, having to squeeze it in between busy hours as an afterthought.

I am at the same page. When you have less time than money, you may use the second to make the most of every piece of the first. It may feel ironic, but life may get you to even more strange places

5 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I guess irony is in the eye of the beholder - IMHO it's a matter of time vs money vs effort vs what technique(s) works best for you. 
To transcribe you need to have have tools at hand (source capable of playing/replaying material to be transcribed, instrument at hand, something to transcribe on or to, etc.) and enough uninterrupted time to properly utilize them. 
Transcribing is a great way to learn and tune your ears but not necessarily the most bang for the effort and the least portable.
And you still need learn theory and utilized other techniques to train your ears.

Of course YMMV.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

Beatos' deep discount made me very thirsty, so I used that thirst to finally decide to start an Ear Master sub and so far I like it a lot. The windows program has some, IMO, amateurish bugs (particularly being the 7th version), and the graphic design is not that polished, but I'm liking what I'm learning and how I'm learning it. 

Edited by Monomox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't need to take to the level of transcription to paper, but simply playing something on your preferred instrument. Sheet music came from an era where recordings didn't exist, so not as necessary as having a sound in your head and being able to play it. The more you work through things, the easier it gets.

The guy I bought my first guitar from "practiced" by playing to the radio, which was nutty. He had a knack for hearing a solo once then playing it second time through.