Undercover Band Project

John Vere

I played in this band for a few years back around 2015-16. I recorded every gig best I could considering I was also in charge of sound ( from the stage) 

The Mackie ( later a Yamaha) board had 3 unused aux outs as well as 4 sub busses. So I had some isolation but still a LOT of blead. 

Track 1 - Toms Vocal ( he doesn't sing on this song) 

Track 2 - Megans Vocal

Track 3 - Bass 

Track 4 - Toms Guitar 

Track 5 - Kick

Track 6 - Drums 

Track 7- My Guitar 

Track 8 - Full board mix 

Track 9 - Midi from keyboard , actually not used on this song so I overdubbed a piano and Organ to fill in the space.

• Like 2

Thanks. Like the video cover screen says,, Blue Rodeo ,, Covered by the Undercover band. Possibly outside of Canada Blue Rodeo is not well known

They are huge here. Starting out in 1989 over 15 albums  etc.  My son has played bass for Jim Cuddy a few times . 

I have about 20 hours of this material. Project lengths are around 50 minutes with dozen songs each . So first I have to edit into individual songs and then the  editing . Once I have one song like this one I can use it as a template for the rest . 

26 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Thanks. Like the video cover screen says,, Blue Rodeo ,, Covered by the Undercover band. Possibly outside of Canada Blue Rodeo is not well known

They are huge here. Starting out in 1989 over 15 albums  etc.  My son has played bass for Jim Cuddy a few times . 

I have about 20 hours of this material. Project lengths are around 50 minutes with dozen songs each . So first I have to edit into individual songs and then the  editing . Once I have one song like this one I can use it as a template for the rest . 

Yes, Blue Rodeo has consistently cranked out quality songs for many decades now, one of my favourite bands. John . . . an excellent mix from a live recording scenario, and I know how difficult that can be . . . and outdoors ? . . . yikes you have my total respect for this mix. Along with the video, I think it really captures the essence of UnderCover Band. (Most would have edited out that shot of the drummer with the porta pottys in the background, but it totally works in rural Canada)

Please post some more from this project when you get your "template" working. Love it.

• Like 1

It’s a challenge being the lead guitar player, The sound guy and recording engineer.  The recording took 3rd place. That’s why I chose only 8 tracks. I really didn’t have the  time to set up and monitor any more. 
I later started to record 16 tracks but truthfully they didn’t turn out any better. There’s just all that leakage to deal with. You make a bass of guitar boner and it’s on 10 tracks.  Not just one . You should hear what Melodyne does to bad notes with leakage. Not pretty. 

Edited by John Vere