Cakewalk Plugins Not Working

On 6/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

• Open the Synth Rack
  • Add the virtual instrument by pressing +
  • Select the instrument
  • When prompted, clear all the checkboxes (seriously)
  • Now, right click in the Track View's Track Header Pane, and add 1 MIDI track
  • Now, right click in the Track View's Track Header Pane, and add 1 Audio track
  • Now comes the routing: You are going to connect the MIDI, Audio and VSTi together.
  • Expand the Audio track, and set the INPUT of the audio track to be the Synth OUTPUT. 
  • Expand the MIDI track, and set the OUTPUT to the to VSTi.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought I did this wrong and I was so confused but I am the happiest person on earth right now! 

I had no idea what most of this meant but I'm glad I came here for help. Thank so much for your help! I will be trying out my keyboard again and see if I missed anything but if it doesn't, I'll just come back here. 

Thank you so so much for your help! 

On 6/19/2021 at 5:58 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

Or, you can do it the manual way which is more like connecting physical units in a recording studio:

• Open the Synth Rack
  • Add the virtual instrument by pressing +
  • Select the instrument
  • When prompted, clear all the checkboxes (seriously)
  • Now, right click in the Track View's Track Header Pane, and add 1 MIDI track
  • Now, right click in the Track View's Track Header Pane, and add 1 Audio track
  • Now comes the routing: You are going to connect the MIDI, Audio and VSTi together.
  • Expand the Audio track, and set the INPUT of the audio track to be the Synth OUTPUT. 
  • Expand the MIDI track, and set the OUTPUT to the VSTi.

That's the routing that Cakewalk will do for you automatically but it really helps to understand what is really going on behind the scenes.

^^^ Now that right there will remove the mystery of what a "simple instrument track" is. ^^^

A "simple instrument track" is not really that intuitive, and hides the actual complexity of a "simple instrument track", so when a newcomer tries to do some special routing with an instrument, it is often difficult until the above knowledge becomes clear.

You can also split apart an instrument track into its component audio and MIDI tracks, as well as combine an audio and MIDI track into an instrument track.