No more updates?

Vlad_Muc

What makes you think this?

There is a stable release now that came out about 60 days ago. How often do you usually get updates of your audio software? Other companies take way longer to issue updates than BandLab. Some even years or never.

Usually with Cakewalk, when it takes longer than usual the next release will include some fab new features. Now that most of the longstanding bugs have been dealt with, we've seen biggies like the Arranger Track and Articulations Map. Maybe there's something new in the works. Maybe the developers took some time off. Whatever, 2 months is not a long time to wait for an update of DAW software.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

I remember during the Gibson days when many people complained about the monthly updates, because they felt there wasn't enough time to learn new stuff before there was more new stuff.  :)

I also remember the early Sonar (I started with Sonar XL) days when there was about 2-3 updates a year and no one worried about it unless there actually was a  problem with the latest release.🙂

Edited by Per Westin
  • Like 2

Noel said last month that in the near future Cakewalk and Bandlab site will be more linked for those that want to take advantage of it.  Plus the Bakers asked what we wanted for a chord track.  Don't know if that is also being worked on short term or long term.  

Patience Grasshopper

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would like the current interface to be more scalable in regard to visibility on large high resolution monitors, but I am a Skylight fan.

As with other things Cakewalk, it took some time for me to realize how flexible and useful it is. It wasn't readily apparent to me that most of the views could be floated in their own windows. As a 2-monitor user, I always have something on the second monitor, usually either the Console or Piano Roll. I like the way that I can have multiple views in the Multidock and just click on a tab to switch between them. Being able to drag them out of the Multidock is great, too.

Now when I use other DAWs I feel like I'm constrained in a box. Waveform especially feels like a straitjacket. Ableton Live is okay, but still restricted. Its interface is kind of Skylight-y, except without the ability to float the different views, at least in the Lite version I have.

I agree, Cakewalk's interface lets you customize it any way you want. I pretty much use it exactly as I used Sonar 8.5. I have Track as the main view, maximized. I open Staff and Event view as need with keyboard shortcuts. They are positioned in the clips pane. I go in and out them constantly. I have Mixer nested at the bottom and open it as needed. I also have it nicely framed in the clips pane. I open tempo and meter views as needed. Same with the inspector and browser views, but keep them closed by default. So, my screen looks just like sonar, before the skylight came in. Except it looks much nicer, of course. I color code all the instruments, which may be 70 or so, to improve navigation. I think the bakers have more pressing concerns than a redesign of a GUI that works however you want it to. Like old Sonar, or platinum, or your own personal template.