Why is my export to wav giving me a .64 file instead of WAV file.?

Frank DeFede

I am exporting as I always do to a wav file.  But, for some reason it is taking for ever and the file is huge.  Instead of a .wav extension it says .v64 extension.  I've been working with Cakewalk for years, and I have never seen this.  I assume something crazy with my computer. 

Any input is much appreciated.

Thank You

from https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Recording.07.html

When Wave-64 Files are created

Wave-64 files are created behind the scenes automatically under the following usage scenarios:

• When the number of samples recorded exceeds the file size limit of a 32-bit RIFF WAV file (approximately 2GB file size).
  • When you export, bounce or freeze tracks or clips and the resultant wave size exceeds 2GB.
  • When you destructively process audio effects on a Cakewalk clip whose duration exceeds 2GB.
  • When you import audio and choose a wave file that exceeds 2GB in size (this could be a Wave-64 file).
  • When you save a CWB file and the size of any chunk in the CWB file exceeds 2GB, the entire CWB is saved in the new Wave-64 format.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scook said:

Thank you for your response.  I am not sure what I can do. 

It's only a 5-minute song.  I am just trying to export the tracks into a stereo mix.  Is there a setting or someway to defeat this.  I've exported this file project before, and never had a problem.  Granted I have added some tracks.  Apx. 68 tracks total.

What sample rate and bit depth are you recording with? What sample rate and bit depth are you using on the export? The higher the numbers on these, the larger the file.

That said, exceeding 2 GB for an audio file is rare.

What happens if you export as FLAC (which is the lossless format I use)?

The only reason a Wav64 is created is if the wave file exceeds 2GB.
Make sure you select exactly the length you want to export on the timeline. The duration will show in the export audio title bar. You can also use the new Export toolbar and set it to export a selection.
Other factors that can lead to a wave 64 exporting is if you are exporting at high sample rates or at 64 bit resolution which will create bigger files. Additionally in the export dialog ensure you are selecting the file type of WAV and not Wav64.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:22 PM, scook said:

Make sure the DAW is exporting 5 minutes.

My guess is the export is much longer.

You are right.  I found out that instead of 5 minutes it is exporting 12:25 minutes.  I am trying to figure out how extra time got on this 5-minute song.  Do you know of a way to delete everything after the song.  There isn't anything there, but when I say select all it goes out

Thank you all for your input. 

I was able to figure out the problem.  I was exporting over 12 hours for a 5-minunte song.  I don't know why the timeline went out that far.  I was able to select everything from the end of the song to the end of the timeline.  Then it exported correctly.

There was some extra data after the "end" of the song. Maybe automation data.

Usually selecting everything after the "end" and deleting with ripple edit fixes the issue

HOWEVER

a time-based selection insures the export will start and end exactly as expected. Here is the first of two consecutive posts about this.