Steinberg Warning

cclarry

If a Chinese hacker stole my Steinberg account, I would be dancing around the room, that is a pig of a DAW.

Couldn't get it to work properly with my UR44, despite it coming with the UR44. No problems with the other DAW's at all.

After 4 and a half hours and a number of non-answered questions still sitting on their forum  6 weeks later, I learned all I needed to know about the usability of their DAW and their customer support.

Good riddance Cubase!

• Haha 1

You really must use a unique password on every site/service.  Yes it's very painful.   But otherwise say you use the same password for a few sites/businesses.  One of those sites is hacked (or is actually ran by criminals).  So now they have your email address and password.  They they try that combination on every site they can exploit. 

This can especially be a problem with topic specific sites/forums.  You sign up at new-music-company.com with the same password you use at Steinberg (and Cakewalk and every other music business) to get some music freebie and they know exactly where they can try that account data at.  Next thing you know all your products at anyone without a transfer fee have been transferred/resold to someone else.

Get a password manager, generate a unique password for every single account/site.

Of course it could also be a security problem at Steinberg as well.   Or perhaps a security problem in your browser/computer.  If someone could steal your browser cookies could they get access to your Steinberg account (for example)?

Be careful out there.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I've got a formula for my passwords that include elements of the site name as well as a bunch of special / random characters.

That way, if my password gets posted to me with the threat of sending webcam footage of myself (from my non-existent webcam) to all my contacts, I know exactly which site they've got it from.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

I've got a formula for my passwords that include elements of the site name as well as a bunch of special / random characters.

That way, if my password gets posted to me with the threat of sending webcam footage of myself (from my non-existent webcam) to all my contacts, I know exactly which site they've got it from.

That is a really good idea. 

Most passwords get stolen from old forums that get hacked. If you use the same password on a forum as you do on a site like Steinberg, the chances of you getting it stolen are much much higher. That said, if you are getting snarky with support over something that could possibly have been your own fault for not taking safer security measures on your own end, I can't blame them for closing out the chat and not being very helpful. The people on the other end of the computer are just trying to get to the bottom of what is going on and helping to the best of their abilities. For all they know, you could be a scammer trying to access someone else's account as well via their chat service which is just as common a scam. When you work with support, keep on point, be courteous and try to make the process of getting to the bottom of the issue as painless as possible for both parties. You'll get along much easier that way.

This is a useful site to check if your email has been hacked in any number of mass hacks over the years. I had my email and password stolen from an old Adobe account that I opened in the 90s and had forgotten about.  Check your email addresses (past and present) to see if you've been exposed.  If any of your passwords were the same back then, change them. 

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

No-one likes getting hacked, but it's becoming more and more common.  I sometimes wonder if the mass of free VSTs being offered up by small companies over the years have just been a way of skimming email addresses and reselling them onto spammers - after I started signing up for those free fx and VSTs that show up in the Deals sections here and in the old forum, I started getting bombarded (and I do mean bombarded) with spam.  Makes me reluctant to sign up for anything these days. :(

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Welcome to the "extreme minority".........

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=286

You guys are all on version 10 right?

I agree with extreme minority.  Since Cubase is one of the most popular DAWs on the planet, the sheer number of users with problems will be greater than those of lesser used DAWs. 

My experience with Cubase has been amazing.  The last time I build my DAW, I didn't even put Sonar/Cakewalk back on it.

I even actually had a good experience with Steinberg support the one time I used actually used it.

Remember two years ago with Cakewalk wouldn't even respond to support emails.  I have no idea what it is like anymore.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, husker said:

I agree with extreme minority.  Since Cubase is one of the most popular DAWs on the planet, the sheer number of users with problems will be greater than those of lesser used DAWs. 

Not anymore, it was popular in the 90's and 2000's but today it struggles badly against the most popular DAW's, Alberton Live, FL studio, Logic, Pro tools, Studio One, etc there are many DAW's more popular than Cubase today and their forums are not choc a bloc full with the number and sort of problems being reported on the Steinberg forums for Cubase 10. Even the pro's using it in film and orchestral composition are not upgrading.

Cubase 10 was quickly patched together to try to compete with the other DAW's marching forward, lots of bugs to get through there.

Most people using Cubase today are throwbacks from a bygone era using version 7 or 8 because they bought it years ago when it was popular and never upgraded (I wonder why) or pirated it. They keep it on their computers as some sort of hilarious side show while they use an alternative more modern and easier to use DAW as their main DAW.

My experience with Cubase has been amazing.  The last time I build my DAW, I didn't even put Sonar/Cakewalk back on it.

That's great for you but the question arises if you are not using Cakewalk, why are you even on this forum, this is the Cakewalk forum.

Remember two years ago with Cakewalk wouldn't even respond to support emails.  I have no idea what it is like anymore.

Well, since you don't even use the program, it's hardly surprising you don't know what support is like. 

I can tell you my experience. I sent a message to support and was surprised that a tech person called Mike quickly answered my concerns and we had a long conversation of quick emails that solved my problem and went a lot deeper into discussing the program and he was genuinely interested in my experience of using Cakewalk.

In addition to the best support ever, I have encountered using a DAW, there is this fantastic forum that is an invaluable resource. And while I, as a non sonar Cakewalk user am getting a bit tired of a small minority of old Sonar users using this forum to gripe about some injustice years ago, in general this forum is great and extremely quick to respond. Perhaps you should post your disparaging comments about Cakewalk 2 years ago on the old Sonar forum where they belong.

This forum and this Cakewalk program is not run by that company.

17 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Not anymore, it was popular in the 90's and 2000's but today it struggles badly against the most popular DAW's, Alberton Live, FL studio, Logic, Pro tools, Studio One, etc there are many DAW's more popular than Cubase today and their forums are not choc a bloc full with the number and sort of problems being reported on the Steinberg forums for Cubase 10. Even the pro's using it in film and orchestral composition are not upgrading.

Cubase 10 was quickly patched together to try to compete with the other DAW's marching forward, lots of bugs to get through there.

Most people using Cubase today are throwbacks from a bygone era using version 7 or 8 because they bought it years ago when it was popular and never upgraded (I wonder why) or pirated it. They keep it on their computers as some sort of hilarious side show while they use an alternative more modern and easier to use DAW as their main DAW.

That's great for you but the question arises if you are not using Cakewalk, why are you even on this forum, this is the Cakewalk forum.

Well, since you don't even use the program, it's hardly surprising you don't know what support is like. 

I can tell you my experience. I sent a message to support and was surprised that a tech person called Mike quickly answered my concerns and we had a long conversation of quick emails that solved my problem and went a lot deeper into discussing the program and he was genuinely interested in my experience of using Cakewalk.

In addition to the best support ever, I have encountered using a DAW, there is this fantastic forum that is an invaluable resource. And while I, as a non sonar Cakewalk user am getting a bit tired of a small minority of old Sonar users using this forum to gripe about some injustice years ago, in general this forum is great and extremely quick to respond. Perhaps you should post your disparaging comments about Cakewalk 2 years ago on the old Sonar forum where they belong.

This forum and this Cakewalk program is not run by that company.

I've clearly hit a nerve, just relax Tezza.   😀

You have a grudge against Cubase, and don't like it.  That is OK with me, it doesn't bother me in the least.  People love or hate DAWs, it is really an interesting psychological phenomenon.  I happen to love Cubase, and have had zero issues with it - on either version 9 or 10.  That shouldn't bother you either.  I chose Cubase when Sonar went under because of its world class Midi implementation.  I researched and demoed many DAWs, during that time, and the choice was clear to me.  In the space that I'm working towards (orchestration), Cubase is by far the number 1 DAW (and its not even close).  My anecdotal experience in those spaces (Cubase groups, VI-Control) show that the majority have moved to Cubase 10 and don't have issues.  One of the best things I've found about Cubase is the sheer amount of quality documentation and online videos about the product.  Want to know how to do something?  Someone has a great video on YouTube on it - using a current version.  Very helpful to someone like me.  That was always a struggle with Sonar - the old Sonar forum was great for some help, but the number of Sonar users seemed to be much smaller than Cubase and other DAWs, and the amount of online videos showed that. 

I'm on the Cakewalk (actually just the deals) forum because of folks like @cclarry, @Fleer, and @abacab.  Larry does a great service to the community by posting deals - I love plugins, reading about them, playing with them (and sadly too often purchasing them).    Folks like Fleer and Abacab are great community members who are very helpful.  That's why I'm here.  :)

• Like 1

I switched to Cubase during the bleak days when Cakewalk was drifting abandoned, and I think it's an outstanding DAW, especially for me. Completely stable, seriously rich in features. I'm virtually all midi in what I do, and Cubase's midi tools are the best I have ever used. Period.

I still use Cakewalk regularly, too -- I find it comfortable and intuitive for when I'm doing final mixes on my music, and I have a serious addiction to the ProChannel and its plugins, as well as the L-Phase EQ and Multiband. All my music that has been posted in the songs forum here was built in Cubase, and then exported and -- for lack of a better word -- mastered in Cakewalk. 

Even if I was not still a Cakewalk user on some level, I'd be on this forum, though. Great group of people, with lots of knowledge and a pretty good sense of humor, and in Larry's case an unerring ability to make me poorer.

And hey, maybe one day Cakewalk will evolve its midi tools and give Cubase a run for its money! I'd switch back full time in a heartbeat. But if that did happen, I'd probably never know without hanging around here.