Prog original - Wordless Convergence

SteveC

Hey...    It's been a few years since I've posted a new original here, pre-Bandlab days in fact.    The result of life, work, COVID, the end of SONAR, etc..    I actually completed the song last April, didn't get around to uploading until November, and posting here just now in March.   Did I mention life, work, COVID and SONAR?    🙃

Anyhow, it's very much as 70's prog inspired piece but somewhat straightforward too (at least time signature-wise).    SoundCloud version is here:

I've also taken my first dip into the waters of creating a matching video with Vegas Pro, using random free snippets found on the web.   Be gentle, it is my first time after all.   😉

Thanks!

• Like 3

To me progressive means it is is not mindless pop, it means someone has taken the time to construct a real well thought out piece with more than three chords, or not just I, IV, V.

I like this is a piece worth listening too, nicely done sir. 

Crazy good prog. I'd boost the vocal just a hair, especially that "response" vocal part. Wow those piano runs at the end were killer! Video works a treat. Kudos to the bass player or programmer for keeping up with all of those changes - love it!

The typical knock is that prog can get tedious but yours never, ever does. Really well done!

cheers,

-Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 3:35 PM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Enjoyed the tune, esp liked the vox harmonies @ :50 & the bg's.

Thanks!   I did spend some time on those harmonies so nice to know it may have been worth it.  🙂

On 3/28/2021 at 3:38 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

I love songs like this.  It takes me back to a time when I listened to anything that was progressive.  This shows off your skill very well, and I hope many more people will hear this!  The video is fun, too, and a good reason to keep making them.

Thanks, Lynn!

Yeah, you and me both.   I listened to more prog way back when than I could ever remember.  I guess some of it stuck.    And thanks for the video comment - at least it didn't pull things down in a not so good way.   😉

On 3/28/2021 at 8:14 PM, Andrew Rhodes said:

Wow! Lots of work gone into that I'm sure. Excellent. I wouldn't know where to begin writing and recording something like that, but I wish I could.

OutYessing Yes!!!

Thanks, Andrew!

Yes, it did take some time to put together, no doubt about that.   And then some more after that.    🙃   As for outYessing Yes I'm not sure that's actually possible, but it's a compliment I will happily take regardless.  Particularly since the working title of this song was something very Yes-like...

On 3/28/2021 at 8:20 PM, David Sprouse said:

Enjoyed the convergence.  The video was fun to watch.  Hope you have time to make  many more.

Thanks, David!

I am glad you enjoyed the convergence.  And the video too, especially as a first-timer there.    I also hope to have the time going forward since music really is my core...

On 3/31/2021 at 6:27 AM, Wookiee said:

To me progressive means it is is not mindless pop, it means someone has taken the time to construct a real well thought out piece with more than three chords, or not just I, IV, V.

It's just I feel like you're talking about me right now. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 7:27 AM, Wookiee said:

Thanks, your Wookiee-ness.    Yep, same for "progressive" here, or at least that's what I shoot for.   I'm glad you liked it.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:39 AM, KurtS said:

OMG! This must have been a lot of work to put together. Great playing, that's a lot of notes.

Thanks, Kurt!   Yes, it did take some time to get everything down.    And yes, there are a few notes in there too.  :)