FX Chain Controls Don't Work after Reloading Project

Tim Elmore

Question

Is anyone else having trouble with FX Chain custom knobs and buttons?

I added an FX Chain to a track and inserted the Sonitus Delay plug-in into the FX Chain. In the FX Chain dialog, I right-clicked and selected “Add knob…” and made a custom control knob. I assigned the knob to control the Mix Left and Mix Right parameters in the delay plug-in.

image.png.0b2927385c48520623f50f195a3901ea.png

Here is the dialog box where I assigned the knob to the parameters:

image.png.db075d7d162256029bb29afeb636f69e.png

After I did this, the knob controlled the parameters properly. Then I saved the project, closed it, and reloaded it. The knob no longer controlled its assigned parameters. The Control Properties dialog box indicated that the knob was still assigned to the Mix L and Mix R parameters.

Attached is a very small CbB project that demonstrates the problem (Demo.cwb). On my computer, the knob in the FX Chain does not work. To make it work, I must delete it, recreate it, and assign the parameters again. Even then, it stops working as soon as I save, close, and re-open the project.

After rebooting Windows, I tried making FX Chain knobs and buttons to control other plug-ins, such as Sonitus EQ and BC Free Amp by Blue Cat Audio. The result is always the same. A knob or button will work when I first create it and assign the parameters, it but will no longer work after I save, close, and reload the project.

I have several projects that were working fine in December 2020 when I was running CbB version 2020.11. But when I open them now (in CbB version 2021.01, build 098, 64-bit), none of the custom controls in the FX Chains will work. To get the controls to work, I have to delete and recreate them every time I load the project.

Maybe the fix is to re-install CbB, but first I would like to see if others are having this problem (in CbB 2021.01).

Demo.cwb

2 answers to this question

My testing indicates that the problem was indeed introduced with version 2021.01:

1. With version 2021.01 installed: FX Chain controls don't work after save, close, and project reload.

2. Rolled back to version 2020.11: FX Chain controls work properly, even after save, close, and reload.

3. Reinstalled version 2021.01: The problem reappeared.

4. Rolled back to version 2020.11 again: FX Chain controls work properly, even after save, close, reload.

Thanks for the info on rolling back. I'll just stay with 2020.11 until this is fixed.