How do I stop it crashing constantly?

Question

See title. Somehow wipes out my Start button so I can't use that either. Restarting explorer doesn't even bring it back. Got to reboot every time it happens. Three times in the last couple hours. A lot of time wasted and I lose work and have to do it over. Some would say I should hit save every time I do anything, but my view is the program shouldn't be so buggy that I have to do that.

• Confused 1

3 answers to this question

Define "the program"

Sounds like this is an issue with something other than Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Many people on here are not having these issues with Cakewalk by Bandlab.  

You really need to be providing much more information rather than simply assuming that the issue must be with Cakewalk.

To get any help on an issue like this, you must provide your system specs (check my sig for an example). Other information: what driver mode you are using, ASIO, WASAPI, etc.

If you have a favorite plug-in (or plug-ins) that go in every project you do, have you checked for an incompatibility? You can do this by a process of elimination, just take them out one by one and see if things get more stable. Bridged 32-bit plug-ins are becoming less and less supported and should be avoided in a 64-bit DAW like Cakewalk. Although Cakewalk claims to be able to run them with its internal bridging, it's kind of an "at your own risk" practice to do so.

Is there a certain operation that happens right before a crash, such as adding or deleting a track or a plug-in or hitting Play or whatever?

Are you on the latest version? Run BandLab Assistant and make sure.

If your issue were due to inherent "bugginess" in the software, topics about it in this section and elsewhere would be blowing up, and they're not. That's good, it's probably a sortable issue, and if it's not, then the developers need to know so that they can fix it.

(and yes, it wouldn't hurt to go into Preferences and set Cakewalk up to auto-save every 5 minutes or so, at least until you feel you can trust it)