Is there a simple way to even out vocal signal

On 3/28/2021 at 7:02 AM, msmcleod said:

To be clear, what Craig and I do is slightly more than normalize them...  what we do is split the clips at each phrase, then normalize or clip-gain adjust them individually.  So each individual phrase is normalized against itself, not the whole vocal track.

Even though this is an old thread, some topics are hardy perennials, and are worth repeating :)

Two other comments...it's important to audition the clips in context, because sometimes a clip will need to have the level pulled back a bit compared to other clips. Also, with this normalization technique, adding even a little compression gives the same perceived results as adding a lot of compression without having normalized first.  Even better, because you need so little compression, you don't have pumping, breathing, or other artifacts related to heavy compression.

• Like 2

Yes I posted in this thread earlier that i use melodyne amplitude tool for this and like the results. I like having the fade option too for any note in case only the peak needs taming or i want it to fade out or in. I think its a great program. 

1 hour ago, treesha said:

Yes I posted in this thread earlier that i use melodyne amplitude tool for this and like the results. I like having the fade option too for any note in case only the peak needs taming or i want it to fade out or in. I think its a great program. 

So true! Just went back one page and there it is! Thanks Treesha! In my own defense: it was a few months ago. It has nothing to do with my aging brain of course! 🤣 

I have the latest Melodyne Editor and am using the leveling macro to quickly adjust vocal volume. Melodyne is not only for tuning vocals. Just wasn't sure this shortcut was a good alternative and could have drawbacks I hadn't noticed.

• Like 1