Jump to content
GreenLight

Feature request: a MIDI input chord analyzer as a module in Control Bar

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

A permanent MIDI input chord display in the Control Bar would be fantastic!

Below is my concept art:

image.png.cee73b3c4a89561a19037b2833b37d8a.png

We do have the MIDI plugin "Chord Analyzer", which is good (but lacks selection of "b vs #" chord naming) but it would just be super convenient if Cakewalk at all times could display any chords detected at MIDI inputs and/or currently scrubbed.

Check out how Logic Pro X has always done it:

image.png.04e9184323e9d6407f8edd0670d987c7.png. 

Courtesy of the "Make Chords and Melodies Easily In Logic Pro X" YouTube video that demonstrates the live chord detection.

EDIT: Updated with new correct image!

Edited by GreenLight
Added concept art image!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure?  That looks like the current KEY of the song, not the current chord.

You can look at the Staff View and see and discern what chords...nay, even what notes are being played!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Are you sure?  That looks like the current KEY of the song, not the current chord.

You can look at the Staff View and see and discern what chords...nay, even what notes are being played!

Yes it's the key signature

But Logic Pro has this feature to show the name of the chord in the  control bar, and I think it's good feature, but not vital

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ah, thanks for pointing out my mistake, I have now updated with the correct image. 👍

If you're not convinced, check out this Logic Pro X that demonstrates the live chord display. Simple and brilliant! 😁

 

Edited by GreenLight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you're talking about is a chord track. This is something we're considering, and Noel has asked for input on this:
 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do remember the Cakewalk MFX Chord Analyzer which can be added to any MIDI (or simple instrument) track which can do realtime chord recognition.

image.png.0aae740458c3c31c8fab3ea60355b80b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

What you're talking about is a chord track. This is something we're considering, and Noel has asked for input on this:

I'm sorry, I think I picked a misleading video in general. 😀  No, I'm not after a chord track in this case.

Logic has a input chord analyzer permanently living in the button bar, that always analyzes chords coming in at MIDI inputs. It is as if the Cakewalk MFX Chord Analyzer would be permanently available in the Control Bar in Cakewalk... which is what I'm after. :) Quick, and always available.

@Kevin Perry Exactly, it's great, I would just like it to be permanently visible as a module in the Control Bar. 😀

Check out my concept art for this feature:

image.png.ed655724f673cd924aabd36980e11fc8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Do remember the Cakewalk MFX Chord Analyzer which can be added to any MIDI (or simple instrument) track which can do realtime chord recognition.

Thanks for the reminder.  I keep forgetting about this. Also, not sure if I noticed the alternative names feature before.

image.png.a1055e62a3473483420597cf29029dde.png

@GreenLightInstead of being a small, single chord display in the Transport Module, I am wondering if it might be useful to more people who use midi as an optional control bar module with collapsed, small, medium, and large sizes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Instead of being a small, single chord display in the Transport Module, I am wondering if it might be useful to more people who use midi as an optional control bar module with collapsed, small, medium, and large sizes.

Good idea! I wouldn't mind either way! 😎

I like the control bar module concept a lot, but it should be fully customizable, basically down to individual button level if possible, like the Microsoft Office ribbon.

An example is the new button for Select track envelopes with clips – a button I have been wanting for years! – it's only visible in the Large version of the Select module. But the large version of the Select module is HUGE, and I need other things more. So it would be great to have a fully customizable control bar, as close to button level as possible. 🤓

I think the Select track envelopes with clips button actually would be more logical to have in the Track View button bar, next to the Crossfade and Ripple Edit buttons...

  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GreenLight said:

@Kevin Perry Exactly, it's great, I would just like it to be permanently visible as a module in the Control Bar. 😀

Check out my concept art for this feature:

image.png.ed655724f673cd924aabd36980e11fc8.png

What if there are multiple tracks/inputs?  I think the MFX (per channel) is less ambiguous and clearer in this instance at least (and exists already of course :-)).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

What if there are multiple tracks/inputs?  I think the MFX (per channel) is less ambiguous and clearer in this instance at least (and exists already of course :-)).

It's a bout specific moment that you play chord on midi keyboard... not during playback 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One can still have multiple inputs so the question remains.  That said, I'm not sure if the MFX works for live input 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

One can still have multiple inputs so the question remains.  That said, I'm not sure if the MFX works for live input 🙂

Tonight I retested the Chord Analyzer MFX while playing live on a single midi channel from a midi/usb keyboard . It definitely worked in real time (track/midi echo = on). Shouldn't be too difficult to record several tracks with the plug-in in the FX bin of each track to test.**  I see now that there's a potential snag with the Control Bar module idea--how would it know which track to display.  Might only be possible as a track-based plug-in. Unless it work based on a single, currently selected track.    

**Update: Yup: 3 midi tracks, 1 Cakewalk Chord Analyzer MFX in each track's FX bin:  each displays the chords--even when the tracks are muted.    🙂

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add an update; (1) to fix typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...