No audio output?

Olivia Moore

Question

I just downloaded Cakewalk fully updated, and I'm not getting any audio output. I recorded my voice once and I could hear that, now I can't, and I don't know how to fix it. I've watched a couple basic tutorials but I don't know what to do beyond listing the input and output as not "none." I'd appreciate the help so I can hear anything to make music!

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Olivia Moore said:

I just downloaded Cakewalk fully updated, and I'm not getting any audio output. I recorded my voice once and I could hear that, now I can't, and I don't know how to fix it. I've watched a couple basic tutorials but I don't know what to do beyond listing the input and output as not "none." I'd appreciate the help so I can hear anything to make music!

Your OUTPUTS can't be "None." 

Set all your OUTPUTS to a master bus, by creating a BUS CHANNEL naming it "MASTER" (If your using an empty template) and route all other tracks through it. 

@Will_Kaydo @Promidi Thanks for your responses! I've rebooted and made the output for audio Master and selected my speakers under the Master bus channel and got the voice recording sound back. But, when I drag a built-in MIDI clip into the main space and press play, it shows the green bars on the left fluctuating with the sound input, but I still can't hear anything. It feels so close, but it's still not quite there and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

6 minutes ago, Olivia Moore said:

But, when I drag a built-in MIDI clip into the main space and press play, it shows the green bars on the left fluctuating with the sound input, but I still can't hear anything. It feels so close, but it's still not quite there and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Did you either put the midi data on an existing Instrument Track with a soft synth or point a Midi Track with the midi data to a soft synth?

Edited by User 905133

9 hours ago, Olivia Moore said:

@Will_Kaydo @Promidi Thanks for your responses! I've rebooted and made the output for audio Master and selected my speakers under the Master bus channel and got the voice recording sound back. But, when I drag a built-in MIDI clip into the main space and press play, it shows the green bars on the left fluctuating with the sound input, but I still can't hear anything. It feels so close, but it's still not quite there and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Good to know. 

Can you perhaps send us screenshots of your settings? 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, User 905133 said:

Did you either put the midi data on an existing Instrument Track with a soft synth or point a Midi Track with the midi data to a soft synth?

On 3/26/2021 at 8:31 PM, Olivia Moore said:

@User 905133 I should mention I am a newbie and barely understand what you just said :) 

On 3/27/2021 at 10:48 AM, John Vere said:

In my signature is a link to my tutorials there are a few on setting up midi 

(1) If you are trying to get audio [aka sound] (2) from a software synth and (3) don't know how to point a midi track to the soft synth, perhaps the video in the following thread will help:

If you don't know the different types of tracks you can have in Cakewalk, perhaps there is another tutorial that might be better.  

On 3/26/2021 at 8:20 PM, Olivia Moore said:

. . . when I drag a built-in MIDI clip into the main space and press play, it shows the green bars on the left fluctuating with the sound input, but I still can't hear anything.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:35 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

Can you perhaps send us screenshots of your settings? 

What kind of icon is there for the track?  If its a 5-pin DIN connector (sort of a circle with 5 dots inside), that's a midi track.

image.png

Just a wild guess based on what limited info you have presented, but perhaps you don't have audio [aka sound] because you have a midi track (like above) that is not sending midi data [the clip you mentioned] to anything that will produce sound--such as a hardware synth or a software synth.

Below, I have a midi track sending its midi output to the Cakewalk TTS-1 software synthesizer.

image.png.897a37b06aef155a5cbeb45ea46dae9a.png

This is just one possible issue you might have.  Its really impossible for anyone else to tell you if this is the cause of your "no audio output" issue.  Others are willing to help if you provide more information.  But perhaps there's enough already posted that will help you to figure out the issue.

Edited by User 905133