Consistent audio glitches when moving mouse over track names

sreams

I have two systems with Cakewalk installed. One is a Ryzen 3900x desktop system with an NVidia 2070 Super graphics card. The other is a Ryzen 5900HX laptop with dual graphics (integrated AMD Radeon graphics and discrete NVidia 3070).

This problem is only appearing on the laptop, but is very consistent. At low latencies (under 256 samples), there are distinct glitches during audio playback whenever the mouse cursor changes to the I-shaped icon when moving the mouse over a track name field in the Track View. There is no glitch when the cursor is moved out of the field and it reverts to a mouse cursor. This also happens in the Help Module when moving the cursor over the help text. There are never any glitches when the mouse cursor changes anywhere else in the GUI.

I have tried two different audio interfaces with the same results... Behringer XR18 and RME Fireface UFX.

FWIW, we can't reproduce it here. I also checked the code and it doesn't seem to be doing anything unusual or CPU intensive at all when moving the mouse over track names. Indeed, moving the mouse over track names actually does significantly less than moving it over some of the other controls nearby.

Are there any other clues you can give us?

On 3/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, sreams said:

....  Ryzen 5900HX laptop with dual graphics (integrated AMD Radeon graphics and discrete NVidia 3070).

This problem is only appearing on the laptop, but is very consistent....

Have you tried switching to the other graphics option to see if you get the same behavior?

On 3/26/2021 at 11:24 AM, Ben Staton said:

FWIW, we can't reproduce it here. I also checked the code and it doesn't seem to be doing anything unusual or CPU intensive at all when moving the mouse over track names. Indeed, moving the mouse over track names actually does significantly less than moving it over some of the other controls nearby.

Are there any other clues you can give us?

I am seeing the same issue when moving the mouse over some text fields in other applications while Cakewalk is playing. So now looking unlikely to be a Cakewalk issue.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, JonD said:

Have you tried switching to the other graphics option to see if you get the same behavior?

Yes, I've tried this. Switching graphics makes no difference. That said... this laptop uses Nvidia Optimus, which means all graphics are routed through the integrated CPU graphics chip.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, reginaldStjohn said:

It could be a video driver issue. I had one with an NVidia card I could never get sorted out and had to replace the video card. If you run the program LatencyMon it should give you some hits ant what is causing the glitches.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Good call. After moving the mouse over track name fields, LatencyMon immediately shows a nearly 1000 microsecond spike in dxgkrnl.sys.

Otherwise, I'm seeing maximum DPC routine execution times of about 100 microseconds.

Update: Also seeing the same spike when moving the mouse over the numerical text-entry fields above the faders in my Behringer X Air Edit software (with Cakewalk closed). Anybody have a modern Radeon graphics card or integrated Radeon graphics and willing to test for similar DPC latency behavior?

Edited by sreams

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@sreams please report this to the Video card vendor and also to Microsoft via the feedback channel. @Pete Brown may be able to follow up after you log a feedback report on Microsoft. This is likely on the driver vendor to fix it however.

Okay. Bug report sent to AMD (using the bug report tool in the Radeon software) and to the Microsoft feedback channel.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 4:22 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@sreams please report this to the Video card vendor and also to Microsoft via the feedback channel. @Pete Brown may be able to follow up after you log a feedback report on Microsoft. This is likely on the driver vendor to fix it however.

Update: Haven't seen any responses to my bug reports, but I did gather a bit more info on the issue.

I am seeing the same DPC latency spikes when moving the mouse cursor into the text entry field in Notepad.

Also... the problem goes away completely after switching from the Radeon driver to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. It has it's own issues, however (consistently high DPC execution time in wdf01000.sys)... but the problem with text fields is gone. So this really seems to be an issue with the AMD Radeon driver.

I really want to use this notebook for live performance, so hoping I can make some headway with AMD.

Edited by sreams
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 4:22 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Update on this... I contacted AMD support and they have been of little help. I've received two responses from them which suggest they aren't really reading what I've written them - directing me to use manufacturer supplied drivers when I've been very clear (twice) that I have been, and that the issue is the same using drivers from both ASUS and AMD.

ASUS, on the other hand, has been more responsive. They've requested a video showing the problem. Thought I'd post it here as well so you guys can see what is happening:

Edited by sreams
  • Thanks 1