Jump to content

Question

Hey there! Relatively new user/audio engineer here. First time post. So I just recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, and, for no obvious reason, Cakewalk appears to no longer function... basically at all. So, the issue is, every three seconds or less, no matter what I do, if I click something in the program or not, the entire program freezes up and stops responding. Even going back and trying to install and use the old Cakewalk "SONAR Platinum" through the Cakewalk Command Center yields the same results. Exactly the same. Freezing up every 2 or 3 seconds. Does anybody have any idea what is going on? Is it a glitch in a new update of Windows or Cakewalk? I just feel like I'm the only one with this problem! And I've never had this issue before, even with my current PC build! This literally has just started happening since my recent fresh Windows install! I haven't changed any hardware at all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor    3.40 GHz

GPU: nVidia GeForce 1080 Founder's Edition

MOBO: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha

SSD installed copy of Windows 10 Pro

Interface: Steinberg UR824, running the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver, output to power conditioner & Focal Alpha studio monitors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

My configuration is as per my signature and I do not have this issue.

When you installed Windows 10, did you perform all windows update before you installed Cakewalk by Bandlab?

Is there anything in the Windows Event viewer that could provide a clue? (Start + run > eventvwr.msc)

I am assuming you're using the latest Nvida drivers (Which at this time is 461.92)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I always have the latest drivers for everything. Windows Updates, too. nVidia driver is indeed version 461.92.

So I checked the Event Viewer and this was the only thing I could find:

The program Cakewalk.exe version 27.1.0.98 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 4370
 Start Time: 01d721dc2bc8d39d
 Termination Time: 36
 Application Path: D:\Program Files\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
 Report Id: 30df41a5-3084-4151-82de-1edcc6d8f2f9
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 
 Hang type: Unknown

Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Problem Details said the following:

Source
Cakewalk Application

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
‎2021-‎03-‎25 7:08 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path:    D:\Program Files\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
Application Name:    Cakewalk.exe
Application Version:    27.1.0.98
Application Timestamp:    60143d92
Hang Signature:    6f6b
Hang Type:    134217728
OS Version:    10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:    4105
Additional Hang Signature 1:    6f6b91a22e73903e7447f6fcb01d745d
Additional Hang Signature 2:    6d3d
Additional Hang Signature 3:    6d3d10d01ddc8775c4b5d20e1944fa10
Additional Hang Signature 4:    6f6b
Additional Hang Signature 5:    6f6b91a22e73903e7447f6fcb01d745d
Additional Hang Signature 6:    6d3d
Additional Hang Signature 7:    6d3d10d01ddc8775c4b5d20e1944fa10

 

Still have absolutely no idea what any of this means. Cakewalk goes from "Running" to "Not responding" every other second. It's very frustrating! I really appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Can I also assume that the motherboard (to your knowledge) has not been overclocked in any way?  (You might want to verify this)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 hours ago, Promidi said:

Can I also assume that the motherboard (to your knowledge) has not been overclocked in any way?  (You might want to verify this)

Wow, thank you! I guess somehow my motherboard was being overclocked without my knowledge. Must have been an accidental click while setting up BIOS shortly after install. This seems to have actually completely fixed the problem for now... I appreciate the answers, folks! Now I can get back to using my favorite DAW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
23 minutes ago, Connor Hegion said:

Wow, thank you! I guess somehow my motherboard was being overclocked without my knowledge. Must have been an accidental click while setting up BIOS shortly after install. This seems to have actually completely fixed the problem for now... I appreciate the answers, folks! Now I can get back to using my favorite DAW!

Scratch that, still doing it. Loaded up an old project file and it immediately resumed the "not responding" thing. Was working fine while starting a new project though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Connor Hegion said:

Scratch that, still doing it. Loaded up an old project file and it immediately resumed the "not responding" thing. Was working fine while starting a new project though!

Looks like a plugin that the old project is using that looks to be causing the issue.

You might want to hold shift while opening the project to try and narrow it down.

If you have many plugins and looks like this will take time, you might want to start with any 32bit plugins (if present).  Then start removing the older ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, Promidi said:

Looks like a plugin that the old project is using that looks to be causing the issue.

You might want to hold shift while opening the project to try and narrow it down.

If you have many plugins and looks like this will take time, you might want to start with any 32bit plugins (if present).  Then start removing the older ones.

Okay, so, I tested this. It's not this. I loaded up a clean, fresh project, did some light guitar recording with TH3, so far so good, no freezing, no hanging, no crashing. So I did all that, I saved the project, closed Cakewalk, and an hour later, came back and opened up that same project. And we're back to square one. Not responding every two seconds. I am SO confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Are there any other events in the Windows system or Application event logs that might shed some light.... 

Do you have any other software running in the background - like antivirus software.  Anything else in the start up.  Systernals Autoruns will show you what start up programs are disabled.

You might want want to send a crash dump to Cakewalk support at https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/3865-better-problem-reporting-how-to-capture-a-crash-dump/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, Promidi said:

Are there any other events in the Windows system or Application event logs that might shed some light.... 

Do you have any other software running in the background - like antivirus software.  Anything else in the start up.  Systernals Autoruns will show you what start up programs are disabled.

You might want want to send a crash dump to Cakewalk support at https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/3865-better-problem-reporting-how-to-capture-a-crash-dump/

 

Hey again. So I checked through all of this. There is no other problem software running in the background. No antivirus or anything. I have almost all startup programs disabled as well. Furthermore, I sent a crash dump to Cakewalk Support, and so far they have given me some great suggestions, but nothing has worked yet, even from them. They suggested I delete certain registry keys pertaining to Cakewalk Core, and all that stuff. None of that worked. I'm getting quite frustrated with Cakewalk at this point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Connor Hegion said:

Is it a glitch in a new update of Windows or Cakewalk?

Yes, there is. The latest optional KB Quality install, caused problems by me - it was slowing down my PC. As an Insider to Microsoft Windows I did report this and I wasn't the only one. It's even worse in the new 21H1 (Not out for release yet) and using 3.6GB of memory to run. 

This might help you to locate or identify your problem. Read Here 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...