PLUG-IN COLLECTIVE: ACUSTICA CREAM2

Pragi

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this and found two cons right from the go.

Cons:

1. You need to install the Acustica product manager "Aquarius" to download and authorize the plugin.

2. It uses almost 2GB of disk space. For a channel strip plugin?

Pros:

1. It looks purty.

For me, not sure it's worth keeping on the hard drive as something I might only use occasionally. Also have no other Acustica  plugins, so don't really want yet another product/license manager on-board.

But thank you Focusrite, for continuing to offer premium freebies to us interface owners!!!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, abacab said:

Cons:

1. You need to install the Acustica product manager "Aquarius" to download and authorize the plugin.

Pros:

1. It looks purty.

For me, not sure it's worth keeping on the hard drive as something I might only use occasionally. Also have no other Acustica  plugins, so don't really want yet another product/license manager on-board.

But thank you Focusrite, for continuing to offer premium freebies to us interface owners!!!

They offer a few other freebies with Aquarius.  

It takes more room than I expected to.  I think this is related to the convolution tech they have....and it is also installing multiple plugins the stand alone pre, eq, comp, in addtion to the strip and then double that for the fact they have "real time" versions of all those as well in the package.  

It does sound quite good though.  High on the CPU usage side, but can add a ton of character even just put on the master bus.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

They offer a few other freebies with Aquarius.  

It takes more room than I expected to.  I think this is related to the convolution tech they have....

I believe this is the case.

Some serious mojo outta these

Edited by RSMcGuitar
Typo

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Cons:

Pros:

1. It looks purty.

Is that after it's installed?  Installers are always much larger.

7 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Is that after it's installed?  Installers are always much larger.

It was a bit over 1.7GB installed, as best I can recall.

Aquarius also caches the installer files. You need to "purge" them if you don't want them hanging around on your drive as well.

1 hour ago, Leoper1co said:

It's a great feebie but too heavy for my old computer

No comments about the cryptic user manual?  :)

It's probably the most unique and creative tech manual I've ever seen. I read parts of it, and saw many references to Dante's Inferno (9 different sections, like the circles of Hell).

I would say that it really strikes me more as something like the players guide you would get with an RPG adventure video game, such as The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Haha 1

As far as CPU load goes, the manual suggests using the largest buffer size setting possible to save CPU cycles.

For instance, there is generally no specific reason for using a low buffer size setting during mixing or mastering sessions. Increasing buffer sizes (hence also latency) highly decreases required CPU power.

Edited by abacab
  • Great Idea 1