Drum MIDI import from file - silent?

Mark Baker

Question

Hi all. Usually, I can easily insert a drum VSTi in Cakewalk and drop MIDI drum loops in, and it all plays fine. However, I've recently discovered that I can download a guitar pro file from my favourite guitar tab site (Songsterr.com), which I can open in Tuxguitar and delete the other tracks, leaving only the drum track. This file plays fine in Windows Media Player, but when I insert it into Cakewalk, it silences my drum kit and I don't know why.

To run you through my method, started with an empty Cakewalk project, I click + to add a track, selecting Instrument and adding SI Drums as a split instrument. At this point, clicking on the various drums in the VSTi popup generates sound, and if I drop in a "normal" drum MIDI loop from my media folders, it works perfectly. However, if I drop in the Tuxguitar exported drum track, the VSTi goes silent. I originally thought it might have been a drum map issue or something, but even clicking on the drum icons in the VSTi popup results in no sound and no indication of any sound in the console for any tracks (so it's not just a hearing issue). Adding a second drum kit works fine, until I try and load the songsterr MIDI.

Any suggestions on things I can look at to try and fix this? I'm happy to spend time on getting this working, as it will save me a lot of time just loading MIDI drums rather than programming them when I want to create backing tracks etc.

Thank you very much

3 answers to this question

The big clue is that you say you get no sound when clicking the GUI drums. This tells me the output of the VST in not going to your master bus. Check the output and make sure nothing is muted or that there’s any volume envelopes happening. Open the event list and check it 

53 minutes ago, scook said:

That has worked amazingly, thank you. I did do a quick search of the forum, but only kept getting posts about routing. It didn't seem to work for the first try, but I think maybe the plugin just needed to reload, and it has worked every time I've tried since.