Audio Snap Pool settings?

jono grant

Hi, 

Is there a place one can go to adjust the settings of how Cakewalk will "Split clips at audio snap pool"?

Audio snap puts it's markers at the peak of the transient, I feel like that's not the best split-point when trying to quantize real drum multitracks.

Also, after splitting, it seems to put crossfades but they don't cross, so there are gaps all over the place.

Wondering if I can tweak any settings to get this working better?

Thanks

J

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, jono grant said:

Hi, 

Is there a place one can go to adjust the settings of how Cakewalk will "Split clips at audio snap pool"?

Audio snap puts it's markers at the peak of the transient, I feel like that's not the best split-point when trying to quantize real drum multitracks.

Also, after splitting, it seems to put crossfades but they don't cross, so there are gaps all over the place.

Wondering if I can tweak any settings to get this working better?

Thanks

J

Yes there are settings in preferences, select the Advanced button at bottom of the window, then select Audiosnap which is typed in blue letters.  There you will be able to change the midi parameters and you should see crossfade settings.  There is also a prompt to change crossfade when you select the split beats button in the audiosnap window.  Quantize in the audiosnap window will also give you these options.  

I went down the audiosnap rabbithole last month to get myself back up to speen with it.  Its very confusing and is counterintuitive but if you will just take a few hours with a practice project file with drum tracks,  go in and get destructive with it.  Try everything out like one would try every door and room in a video game, learning more of what not to do and in what order sequence to do each step is how you will master the tricky and mysterious audiosnap for drum editing.  

Also, how far are you zooming in on the markers to check that they are laying on the peak and not just before?  I too thought the exact thing and found it useless until I learned that it actually butts up against it.   If you will select one drum track and hit TAB, the cursor will stop just before each transient which is great for manually slicing up tracks and a reference to checking if the markers are landing on peak or just before the transient registers above the noise floor!

Once I get back to my studio, I will upload several PDF tutorials with screenshots that definitely helped me out.  

Thanks for the info Clovis, such a great feature! Though, by the time I go through and correct all the weird markers etc. it's close to the time that it takes to do it manually. I will dig in and find out what I can. Just trying to get it to work better. Cheers

JG  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jono grant said:

Thanks for the info Clovis, such a great feature! Though, by the time I go through and correct all the weird markers etc. it's close to the time that it takes to do it manually. I will dig in and find out what I can. Just trying to get it to work better. Cheers

JG  

I forgot to link you up with this tutorial, it's straight to the point and the only tutorial so far that gets the results you and myself are trying to achieve.  This guy is so good at and so quick that you have to slow the video down to help absorb the great knowledge he shares.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/390-cakewalk-drum-editing-tutorial/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Best info for me was watching one of Mike's Creative sauce videos on this subject this one was great and there are others too. 

You know whats funny about Mike's is that he avoids a step to keep from crashing his session which is EXACTLY THE SAME FOR ME!   To be able to quantize and slip edit multiple tracks longer than 30 secs long would be an ability I have not yet experienced with audiosnap.  The future is funny like that

On 4/4/2021 at 8:45 PM, Clovis Ramsay said:

You know whats funny about Mike's is that he avoids a step to keep from crashing his session which is EXACTLY THE SAME FOR ME!   To be able to quantize and slip edit multiple tracks longer than 30 secs long would be an ability I have not yet experienced with audiosnap.  The future is funny like that

I've got most of this info in my brain now, a few things I didn't know. 

The main thing I'm wondering is: How to get audio snap to put so many random, poor markers, right in the middle of a transient. Not even sure why it decides to put them there. It would certainly help to find a way to add the marker in a better place. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, jono grant said:

I've got most of this info in my brain now, a few things I didn't know. 

The main thing I'm wondering is: How to get audio snap to put so many random, poor markers, right in the middle of a transient. Not even sure why it decides to put them there. It would certainly help to find a way to add the marker in a better place. 

There are a few setting variables that you can try to improve the accuracy, at least from what I've learned through other users experiences and my own experiences put to a test.  

For one, I have found that there is an optimal input gain at -8dbfs peak where my plug ins seem to work and sound their best.  This peak value always works best, in my experience at least, for transient beat detection by audiosnap.  It has far less markers landing on mic bleed transients and less "missing" markers.  If you have excessive mic bleed, then i highly suggest rendering your track with a gate to clean it up so that audiosnap will be less distracted.  

Also, define your timing resolution, tempo map, and every tool to be the same such as 1/16th, and also make sure you are setting the clip to its proper tempo in audiosnap.  I work a lot with heavy rock/punk music so I always set the tempo at double time for the metronome to tap out quarter notes for the drummer.  But audiosnap is always detecting the tempo half of what i put in so be sure to apply the appropriate one so that those markers fill out as they should.  

And remember that you can adjust parameters in the inspecter pain for each track that is audiosnap enabled.  It's been helpful many times in my hours of discontent.  Hopefully that might help with the efficiency of audiosnap, It has with mine so far but it is more likely a per user situation.

• Like 1