Create 7/8 MIDI Groove Clip in a 4/4 project?

Agincourtdb

On 3/26/2021 at 5:41 AM, msmcleod said:

I rarely use groove clips myself, but I do use 7/8 a lot and in some cases change time signatures every few bars or so.

This is what I would do:

1. Do what @Colin Nicholls suggested - make it twice the length so it's aligned to 1/4 notes, then slip edit the clip back to 3.5 beats long
2. Change the time signature for that bar to 7/8, setting the time signature back to 4/4 on the next bar. This will mean everything is properly measure aligned.

#2 doesn't work because the hypothetical 7/8 clip will be running against clips of different lengths. 7/8 against 8/8. Against 6/8. 11/8 against 12/8  15/8 against 14/8. And so on. It's process music, think Steve Reich. 'Measures' don't matter at all. Thanks for the suggestions though.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, msmcleod said:

The final method (which IMO is the quickest), is to use the pattern tool:

78patterntool.gif

Yeah I think this is the best workaround. I have also discovered that Ableton *does* allow MIDI loops to be any length, so I may also pick up a copy of Live Intro. Don't really like the interface but maybe I can get used to it enough for the next project. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also, just got Project 5 working again! Apparently it didn't like there being an entry in the sound devices list for my bluetooth headphones, because once those were disabled, BAM, she started right up. So as it stands now I'll be creating the MIDI in P5 where MIDI looping is *incredibly* easy, and then importing the MIDI into Sonar or Bandlab for actual mixing/tweaking.

Edited by Agincourtdb
New information