Some features to ask for workflow improvement!

eli0s

Hello! I am using Cakewalk for a long time, basically for  orchestral mock-ups with vst instruments. So, I use a lot of midi/instrument tracks.

Bellow is a small list of things I find to be cumbersome to work with in Cakewalk.

1) The "Number of Tracks/Track Pairs to Create" field at the "Insert Soft Synth Options", is broken. When trying to input a new number (with Max Available un-ticked),  the order of the numbers you type in is being put backwards. It's difficult to explain, just try it out and try to change the number of tracks a few times.

2) When duplicating an instrument track (let's say a Kontakt track), Cakewalk is creating a new synth instance of Kontakt with all of the patches that the previous instance had. This is most of the time not desired. An empty instance would have been more appropriate. This was the default way of duplicating instrument tracks some versions of the software ago.

3) Make the way of navigation the same on all views that it's appropriate. For example, the PRV and Tempo View do not use the same mouse and keyboard combinations.

4) I can't find a way to zoom in/out vertically with the mouse wheel and keyboard modifier key. Take a hint from Studio One's navigation methods.

5) I find it super annoying that there is not a way to rename a track at the PRV!!! Double clicking on the name of the track should allow renaming it, like it does on the Track view and the Console view!

6) It could be nice if the CC lanes on the PRV had the ability to have different heights. Sometimes you need to see them all but have more space on some than others.

7) Also, the order of appearance of the CC lanes on PRV is changing all the time when selecting multiple tracks with same or different CCs. Ideally one could arrange the order permanently or the software could display them in acceding order by default.

8 ) Nowadays, a lot of instruments have advanced legato engines that need some time pre-roll in order to be in-sync with the beat (for example the Cinematic Studio Series). Cakewalk has time compensation values only in ticks, not in milliseconds. This could also affect and break some Kontakt scripts that automatically manage different legato transition speeds but need to take into account the time pre-roll time in milliseconds.

9) I might be on my own here, but I preferred the previous way of deselecting notes on the PRV by right clicking on any CC lane.  Now, most of the time when I work fast, instead of deselecting the notes by left clicking on the notes area, I am ending up creating new ones. 

I will really appreciate if any of the above could be thought and be looked at.  Thank you in advance!

Elias

Edited by eli0s
  • Like 2

3- You can use Cakefolk Magic Mouse™ feature to use all navigation possibilites in all different views. Also you can Alt+MouseWheel to zoom horizontally all views in the Cakewalk.

4 - You can Shift + Mouse Wheel to Vertical Zoom in all possible views in the Cakewalk with the Cakefolk™ as well.

Also there are many other navigating and workflow enhancements in the Cakefolk™ you might be interested.

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 2

@murat k. thank you for your reply,

I installed Cakefolk, it gives me this error message every second time I right click on the PRV to select notes:

1906454396_CakefolkError.jpg.e7968af39ead7e2bf26cce9a750fe853.jpg

Furthermore, upon installation it said that it will be expire after 11 of April or something...

I was hopping for a more permanent and official implementation of these (imo basic) features.

Also, can you please tell me how to uninstall Cakefolk? I can't find an uninstaller somewhere!

It seems you suspended Cakefolk. Didn't exit the program. If Cakefolk icon is still visible, Right Click the icon and select "Exit" from the menu to shutdown the Cakefolk. There is no uninstall is necessary. By the way F12 & Insert is working on my side. I'll check that out too, thank you.

image.png.19954f18a923fb9d38241bf1b16a6de7.png

Edit:

I guess you hit Insert key at first and suspended the Cakefolk, then you hit F12 + Insert key, and it didn't work because all shortcuts are disabled at that time. Everyone can do that obviously. I guess I'll change the Exit shortcut in the next release.

Edited by murat k.

To tell you the truth, I didn't notice there was an icon. I can't see it now and hitting the "insert" key doesn't bring Cakefolk back. I think that something is wrong and the script doesn't work as it should on my system. Anyway, thanks again!

Insert key is for the Suspend.
F12 + Insert is for the exit.
And the error is about the icon actually.

That explains that why you are not seeing the icon from the beginning. Thank you again! 😊

Edited by murat k.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:59 AM, eli0s said:

2) When duplicating an instrument track (let's say a Kontakt track), Cakewalk is creating a new synth instance of Kontakt with all of the patches that the previous instance had. 

You can remove this when duplicating tracks . 

Read here