Media Browser - matching host tempo

grannis

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi, grannis! I think that's right, if you preview WAV files on Media Browser with Preview at Host Tempo enabled it will sound the way you described. But if you insert it on project it will play on its own tempo.

On these cases you could adjust clip tempo on Clip Properties Inspector, under Groove Clip section. But as it is a bit complex IMO I’d suggest you to read the CW Reference Guide, depending on your experience with CbB.
But in short you could both adjust clip as a simple clip or as Groove Clip (clicking Ctrl + L will toggle between one and another).

However you could also preview Groove Clips files as well as ACID WAV and REX files on Media Browser, because they have internal marks which turn them better for loop purposes. Then when you drag them into the project they will sound as expected.
For better information see How Groove Clips work in Cakewalk :

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Looping.07.html 

I hope this helps!

Best regards

Edited by mgustavo

Hm, I've been using Cakewalk for many years and have never reflected upon the OP's question from a new user perspective...

Now that I think about it, I think it IS a bit weird that you listen to loops with perfect sync in the Browser... but as soon as you drag one in into your project, it's not in sync by default. You have to press CTRL+L (or use audiosnap).

Wouldn't it be more logical (for new users - and old!) to automatically enable Groove Clips on loops you drag and drop when the browser auto sync is active?

• Like 2

thanks - audiosnap didn't seem to work, but just hitting Ctrl-L did. I didn't realise that CW would automatically detect tempo when creating groove clips - I had wrongly assumed that it would set the tempo of the groove clip to be the same as the project it was created in. I've learnt 2 things today!