Mixing with bluetooth headphones and asio4all

Twaddle

So, I recently bought a laptop that's good enough to mix music and handle BFD3 and all my other VSTi's and effects.

In an attempt to iliminate some noise I was getting through my wired headphones I bought some bluetooth headphones which did the job perfectly.

Has anyone managed to use bluetooth headphones to mix in sonar or anya other DAW, and asio4all?

I've had lots of issues with crashes and have had to reinstall my realtek drivers several times now so am probably going to give up.

I did discover that the noise I was getting through my wired headphones was actually from the wi/fi booster plugs so buying the bluetooth heaadphones was unecessary.

But to iliminate the noise I either have to turn off my wi/fi or run my laptop off the battery but I'd much refer to use my new heqadphones as they're much better then my cheap wired ones.

Cheers in advance

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It's for my laptop so having to carry a seperate audio interface with leads and power supply kind of kills the portability of a laptop.

You say bluetooth is too slow for real time audio but if I'm just using it for mixing and not actually live recording it should be fine surely?

If I can listen to music and watch videos on my laptop via my bluetooth headphones using windows 10' and realtek drivers, it seems logical that asio4all should be able to do the same.

Maybe there's a better alternative out there than asio4all but either way I need asio for BFD3 and other VSTi's.

Steve

Edited by Twaddle

On 4/6/2021 at 7:23 PM, Twaddle said:

It's for my laptop so having to carry a seperate audio interface with leads and power supply kind of kills the portability of a laptop.

You say bluetooth is too slow for real time audio but if I'm just using it for mixing and not actually live recording it should be fine surely?

If I can listen to music and watch videos on my laptop via my bluetooth headphones using windows 10' and realtek drivers, it seems logical that asio4all should be able to do the same.

Maybe there's a better alternative out there than asio4all but either way I need asio for BFD3 and other VSTi's.

If you are only going to use the laptop for mixing then you don't need to use ASIO4ALL, you can use just the Realtek drivers for your Realtek sound card, since you will only be outputting audio. Any latency introduced by the headphones which should be minimal anyway won't be relevant. I believe that Realtek does have an ASIO driver for it's cards, you might have to search for that, I am not sure how well it works, but there is no need to use ASIO if you are just mixing.

ASIO is only really necessary when it comes to using microphones or USB keyboards to record because it reduces the delay you hear from inputting a recorded source to what you hear back from your computer. If for example you wanted to put an AKAI MPK mini in your backpack with the laptop, then having access to an ASIO driver will mean there will be little perceptible delay between hitting a keyboard note or drum pad and hearing it back through your headphones.

It pays to check that your sound card manufacturer has an ASIO driver specifically for sound card first before considering ASIO4ALL as that is a sort of last resort solution.

Audio interfaces can be bus powered and small so you don't necessarily need to connect them to mains power in order to use them to record or use their ASIO driver.

You might have to do a bit of fiddling around to see if what you want to do will work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:26 PM, Tezza said:

If you are only going to use the laptop for mixing then you don't need to use ASIO4ALL, you can use just the Realtek drivers for your Realtek sound card, since you will only be outputting audio. Any latency introduced by the headphones which should be minimal anyway won't be relevant. I believe that Realtek does have an ASIO driver for it's cards, you might have to search for that, I am not sure how well it works, but there is no need to use ASIO if you are just mixing.

ASIO is only really necessary when it comes to using microphones or USB keyboards to record because it reduces the delay you hear from inputting a recorded source to what you hear back from your computer. If for example you wanted to put an AKAI MPK mini in your backpack with the laptop, then having access to an ASIO driver will mean there will be little perceptible delay between hitting a keyboard note or drum pad and hearing it back through your headphones.

It pays to check that your sound card manufacturer has an ASIO driver specifically for sound card first before considering ASIO4ALL as that is a sort of last resort solution.

Audio interfaces can be bus powered and small so you don't necessarily need to connect them to mains power in order to use them to record or use their ASIO driver.

You might have to do a bit of fiddling around to see if what you want to do will work.

Unfortunately some programs require an asio driver, even if it's a fake asio driver.