Keyboard set-up advise please.

Douglas Brett

Hi,

I have a Roland Go:Keys  keyboard, and I want to experiment with using Cakewalk with it, via MIDI. Ideally, what I want to do is add multiple MIDI tracks - One voice per track. Of course, when I go to start on Track 2, with a different voice, the first track is using this voice.

I have tried making it so that each track has a different Channel, but it still changes the voice on all tracks. 

Is it actually possible ? I believe the Keyboard is Multi-Timbral, so it should in theory work. Any pointers ?

I read the specs for the Roland Go : Keys.  I'm not completely sure that it is a true multitimbral keyboard. It's says it utilizes 8 voices in Loop mix and 8 voices for keyboard and it saves in Midi file format 0 . Which  is essentially all channels on a single track.  True multi-timbral keyboards typically use 16 discreet MIDI channels across at least 16 tracks and those tracks are assignable to which ever channel you wish. There may be way to get it to work for multichannel input - but I didn't see much for a manual.

Thanks for your help Guys,

10 hours ago, RBH said:

I read the specs for the Roland Go : Keys.  I'm not completely sure that it is a true multitimbral keyboard. It's says it utilizes 8 voices in Loop mix and 8 voices for keyboard and it saves in Midi file format 0 . Which  is essentially all channels on a single track.  True multi-timbral keyboards typically use 16 discreet MIDI channels across at least 16 tracks and those tracks are assignable to which ever channel you wish. There may be way to get it to work for multichannel input - but I didn't see much for a manual.

That would explain things a little. It will just have to be a case of actually recording a track separately. In practice, I would only want to add Piano, drums, and bass to Electric and Acoustic guitar, and some of that could be done within Cakewalk anyway. 

When I was first dipping my toes into virtual instruments, I was kinda skeptical, but then my friend pointed out that my synths were all basically single-function computers with a fraction of the processing power and memory and storage of my desktop DAW computer. These days, my CS6X is mostly on controller duty (which task it was designed to be great at).

I have managed to work out what it is - the GO:KEYS is "partially Multitimbral" - i.e. you can only pick one voice from each category - One Piano, Organ, Brass, Drum (One set) etc. So I can't have a Grand Piano, and an Electric Piano for example. Shouid be enough.