How to leave a MIDI clip unaffected by tempo change?

Jeremy Murray-Wakefield

Question

I have a MIDI clip which triggers various spot sound effects at specific points in time.

How can I make this clip be unaffected by tempo change? Those effects must be triggered at specific times in H:M:S:F not on specific beats.

I've tried all the different time base settings etc for the clip, yet the individual events are always locked to the tempo. 

3 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Jeremy Murray-Wakefield said:

I have a MIDI clip which triggers various spot sound effects at specific points in time.

How can I make this clip be unaffected by tempo change? Those effects must be triggered at specific times in H:M:S:F not on specific beats.

I've tried all the different time base settings etc for the clip, yet the individual events are always locked to the tempo. 

• Select the clip.
  • Show the Inspector, Clip Properties.
  • Set the Time Format to H:M:S:F (for display)
  • Set the Time Base = ABSOLUTE.
  • Note the Start and Length values

Changing the Time Base of the clip should mean that it will start at the same clock time even if you change the temp (bpm) of the project.

We know that  the duration/length of the clip will change because MIDI clips follow the measure/beat.

HOWEVER: You can go into the Inspector Clip Properties and change the LENGTH of the clip after the bpm change, and put it back to the original length (minutes, secs, etc).

Now the midi note events in the clip should occur at the original SMPTE time prior to the project bpm change.

CAVEAT: I'm not sure how this would work for continual bpm changes throughout the length of the MIDI clip - some experimentation might be needed, or you might need to break the clip up into independent sections.

(EDIT: I see you've said you've tried changing clip properties so perhaps this process isn't suitable. If so, I apologize. But I learned something during the research so, thanks for that.)

Edited by Colin Nicholls