Reset Controllers question

David Andersen

Question

Hi,

Here's my set up.

I'm using Cakewalk on my laptop and loading old Midi files that I've has for some time. I run a USB midi interface (Roland) to a Roland Sound Canvas SD-35 using a floppy emulator to record the files onto USB.

When I have a song ready to go, I play it from Cakewalk and Record it on the Sound Canvas including Patch changes and Controller changes.

After I have recorded a few songs, when I go back and play them, the Patch changes are all good, but the Controllers are not reset for the next song which causes some weird sounds.

Is there a simple message/patch/Controller that I can put in each song at the end that resets all of the controllers on the Sound Canvas that will record and stay with that song so that when I start to play a new song, it's back to square one.

As I only take the sound canvas to gigs, it has to be part of the recorded song/file on the sound canvas.

Hope this question makes sense, if not, please ask what you need to know.

Thanks

David

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, David Andersen said:

Hi,

Here's my set up.

I'm using Cakewalk on my laptop and loading old Midi files that I've has for some time. I run a USB midi interface (Roland) to a Roland Sound Canvas SD-35 using a floppy emulator to record the files onto USB.

When I have a song ready to go, I play it from Cakewalk and Record it on the Sound Canvas including Patch changes and Controller changes.

After I have recorded a few songs, when I go back and play them, the Patch changes are all good, but the Controllers are not reset for the next song which causes some weird sounds.

Is there a simple message/patch/Controller that I can put in each song at the end that resets all of the controllers on the Sound Canvas that will record and stay with that song so that when I start to play a new song, it's back to square one.

As I only take the sound canvas to gigs, it has to be part of the recorded song/file on the sound canvas.

Hope this question makes sense, if not, please ask what you need to know.

Thanks

David

So I've been reading a lot of info from the Midi Association to individual sites.

Would I be correct in this?

At the end of the song in cakewalk before I play it and then record it as it's playing on my Sound Canvas, If I make an event entry at the very end of the song/data: Control - 121 - 0 (121 being the contoller and 0 being the value).  My understanding is that this should reset all controllers for this channel (info taken from http://www.marco.panizza.name/dispenseTM/slides/audio/midi/messageTables/table3.html😞

Note:The Controller 120-127 are reserved for Channel Mode Message , that rather than controlling sound parameters, affect the operating mode of the channel.

121     01111001      79    [Channel Mode Message] Reset All Controllers       0      ---

Would love to know that this is correct.

Thanks

Oh this info is also on: https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2

Edited by David Andersen

2 hours ago, Johnny Tsao said:

Roland Sound Canvas SD-35 contains GM/GS tones. Use CC#121 Reset All Controllers to reset some basic controllers, but for MIDI files in GS format, some GS controller parameters cannot be reset by CC#121 , So it is possible that after playing a few songs, there will still be weird sounds.

It is recommended to use the GS Reset command, which is a string of System Excelusive syntax.
You can go to Views\Sysx (the hot key is Alt+Shift+7) to open the System Exclusive window.

Please try to load a GS Reset command in the blank Bank

In the Sysx window, click the Open option in File in the upper left corner to load the gs-reset.syx file provided by Cakewalk. Please open it.

The default path of Sysx Files is:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Sysx Files

The GS Reset syntax contains the following Data, which is the standard Roland GS parameter (refer to it)

F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7 

After opening this gs-reset.syx file, it will be successfully loaded into the Bank where the cursor is located in the Sysx window, then go to File and select the Send item, send this GS Reset command to reset your SD-35, and you can reset all the controllers, the weird sounds should be able to be resolved.

Sorry, I use Google Translate, and I can’t load the picture in my reply message😅

Thanks for the reply Johnny.

I've done this now, and selected send to reset now.  I've also selected 'Auto send'.

So my question is, when I play the midi file in Cakewalk and record it on the Sound Canvas as it's playing, will this now be sent and recorded in the Sound Canvas file to reset everytime I play this song?  When will this send with Auto Send selected?

I need to be able to reset after each song or as each song starts so changed contollers aren't carried forward into the next song. As I said in my first post, I play directly from the Sound Canvas at gigs and don't play from the laptop. Just a bit more info, for each song file on the Sound Canvas, I have a very short 'Set up' song (around 1 to 2 seconds) which I use to set the patches for the instruments for that song. I use a pedal to start the song as soon as I press the pedal (no delay, immediate start), so the instruments need to be set up before, or you get the wrong instruments on that first note/s.  Can the sysx reset be recorded into this Setup song?

Thanks again.

Ah, let me know if this is correct.

I've created the Sysxbank as you have said above.  I have created a Sysxbank event in track 1  at a set time and allocated bank 2 (this is the GS reset bank I created).

So this should be executed at the time allocated in the event list.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Johnny Tsao said:

Hi! David

You're welcome!

Yes! You can write the System Exclusive syntax of GS Reset in the MIDI file, just check the Auto Send option, and then save the MIDI file.

In this way, when using SD-35 to play MIDI files, it will send out the GS Reset command before starting to play the song.

Hope to help you.

Thanks Johnny.

So, the GS Reset sysex will be sent to the Sound Canvas at the allocated time in the Event List as I'm playing the song/file in Cakewalk.  When I'm recording the song/file, the Sound Canvas will record sysex data in the song file and everytime I play that song/file on the Sound Canvas without the computer, the Sysxbank will be run and reset the controllers.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tsao said:

Hi! David

Yes, it is exactly this way!
System Exclusive syntax is divided into two types: Auto Send and Allocated Time.

Auto Send is sent before the song is played. In the Sysx window of Cakewalk, you will see that the Auto option of the Sysx Bank is checked; the other type is that the Auto option of Sysx Bank is unchecked, but in You can see the time that Sysx Bank has been allocated to send in the MIDI Event List.

As you said, recording or editing on SD-35 also writes System Exclusive commands within the specified time, and all commands will be reset by GS Reset.

Ah ok, so I should not tick 'Auto send' if I want it to send at a specific time?

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tsao said:

Hi! David

Yes, it is exactly this way!
System Exclusive syntax is divided into two types: Auto Send and Allocated Time.

Auto Send is sent before the song is played. In the Sysx window of Cakewalk, you will see that the Auto option of the Sysx Bank is checked; the other type is that the Auto option of Sysx Bank is unchecked, but in You can see the time that Sysx Bank has been allocated to send in the MIDI Event List.

As you said, recording or editing on SD-35 also writes System Exclusive commands within the specified time, and all commands will be reset by GS Reset.

Ah ok, so I should not tick 'Auto send' if I want it to send at a specific time?

Thought I'd just add this for others that may be having the same issue/question.

I was struggling to work out when I entered the sysxbank event in the event list, closed the file and reopened it, the event had disappeared. I was saving the file as a .mid file and not a cakewalk project file. The .mid file format does not save this information but the .cwp file does.

Hope it helps someone else.