Cakewalk vs Roland Sonic Cell software

Robin Rose

Midi Files sound great using Cakewalk by Bandlab, however some midi files sound different on playing back on Roland Sound Canvas. i.e no patch names, all showing Piano on each track and also wrong patches or playing with empty patch names or Piano, I actualyl scrolled along almost to the end of one midi file and patch names changed, scrolled back to the beginning , all fine, start again ,all piano.

Can someone please help me, I have searched all tutorials on youtube and looked at Cakewalk help, can't find a solution, thanks in advance, Robin

First I do believe the TTS-1 is more or less identical to the Sound Canvas as far as GM midi goes. In other words there's not much point in using the Sound Canvas anymore. And most folks use the Sample based instruments like the Studio Instruments that come with Cakewalk or the 1,000 of free VST's available from places like https://plugins4free.com/    

But your title say's Roland Sonic Cell? So is this what you are using? 

If so, the answer will be in the user manual. Possibly there's a setting that allows for PG changes and they are being blocked. 

A downloaded GM midi file will show it's Channel, bank and patch in the midi track header,  check there to see if the patches are correct. 

In my signature is links to tutorials for all this stuff to do with TTS-1 and using downloaded midi files. 

Edited by John Vere