Using Nektar Impact series keyboard as a Control Surface??

Xcribe

Hey guys, so recently I downloaded and installed CbB in an effort to rekindle my inspiration after a year or two of using Reaper... (which was getting kind of stale, workflow wise). So far, I really like Cakewalk because of the U.I. --smooooth-- and because of the streamlined mixing with Pro Channel.

However, there is one minor inconvenience that I've found. I have a Nektartech Impact GX-49 MIDI keyboard, which has a section featuring basic transport controls... play, stop, record, next patch, etc. Included in the software downloads are files that allow the control surface buttons to be mapped to their corresponding transport commands in many major DAWs, among them CW SONAR.

I had previously installed these preferences in both Reaper and FL Studio, and both worked fine, but when followed the same project in CbB, AND added the Impact as a Control Surface in Preferences, it did not work. It also made the project file I was using start doing some weird stuff, like muting MIDI notes and only playing the track i had selected when I pressed 'Play. ' Tried multiple re-installs, same result.

Has anyone else had this issue with these keyboards? If so, is there some sort of solution to the problem?  Thank you in advance for the help, it is very much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, smoddelm said:

I have one.  It certainly isn't designed to work seamlessly with Sonar, but I haven't had the problems you describe with muting notes and playing only the selected track.  Maybe reach out to Nektartech support?

Yeah that's the plan at this point. Now it's just a matter of waiting and seeing what they say. Thanks, man.

I'm using the Nektar GX61 Impact with Cakewalk, used the download files for Sonar, no problem here it works as it should. You do have to make sure that the right midi outs are linked to the right transport/control functions and this is not easy to understand. I got it wrong way round at first which led to weird behavior, then just switched them around and all was ok.

I have an LX61+. I got it before Bandlab took over Cakewalk. I downloaded the control surface file from Nektar, and the transport controls and a couple of others worked right away, and still do in CbB. But I never used it much as a control surface, so it wasn't until I saw this thread that I realized there is trouble in paradise. Check it out. A bunch of functions don't work, and some say you don't get much help from Nektar. They do have a step-by-step downloadable PDF with pictures that was pretty helpful to me when I was setting it up. And by the way you have to register your product at their website to get the specific files you need for your DAW and your device.

Apparently, however, if you are smarter than I am, you can use "MIDI learn" to get the various pots and faders and buttons to do pretty much whatever you want them to.

• 4 years later...

Apologies adding to an old thread, but I had this problem with a brand new LX49+, and I've resolved it, and wanted to share with those who may have the same problem.

I have Sonar X1 Producer, Sonar X2 Producer, Sonar Platinum, and Cakewalk by Bandlab installed and all but one of these had the problem - X2 was the only one that worked. I went through all the MIDI playback and record settings and only found one difference - in X2, System Exclusive was enabled but not in the X1, Platinum or Cakewalk. Enabling this and restarting fixed the problem for me.

Cheers,

Gary