The state of Durabilty/Realiability of SSDs today

Logan_4600

I remeber tons of articles from a couple of years ago from several renowed Tech Sites on the topic of SSDs bland endurace, short lifespan and high fail rate. Having a 5 years old PC, a not having lots of money to spend, I can clearly see that my weakest components right now are my old HHDDs.

So, how are SSDs doing right now? From those early adopters, going back to 2012/15ish, are your drives alive? Do they retain its performance? And the new adopters of newest technologies? Are you happy with your SSDs? Do you trust them enough?

Just now, InstrEd said:

What HDD do you use for Backups?

DRIVE_1 = 1TB Verbatim

DRIVE_2 = 1TB Toshiba

DRIVE_3 = 2TB Toshiba

DRIVE_4 = 2TB WD Elements

DRIVE_1 and DRIVE_2 are identical in terms of backup data

DRIVE_3 and DRIVE_4 are identical in terms of backup data

41 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Yes.

I make regular backups so I am not that worried.

Backups are usally overlooked by the regular user. It's such an importan thing to do!

Back on topic. Which SSDs do you have? And how old are they now? Any signs of degradation?

5 minutes ago, Logan_4600 said:

Which SSDs do you have?

In my laptop I have a 0.5TB Samsung 850 Pro for my OS and a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro for my data drive.

8 minutes ago, Logan_4600 said:

And how old are they now?

They are about three years old.

8 minutes ago, Logan_4600 said:

Any signs of degradation?

All seems well at the moment.

In my new desktop workstation my data SSD is a 1TB Samsung QVO, which I didn't really want to be honest, but I couldn't find a Samsung Pro in time for my build, at least not at a reasonable price. It will be interesting to see how it fairs over time...

I have a 7 year old computer (some stats below) with a Kingston sv200s3256g SSD as my start-up drive. It is still working, but takes some time (1-3 min after logged in) to function properly, after random freezes.  Maybe it is not the drive's fault but it hasn't been like that until recently. If I would buy a new SSD I think I would pick up a Samsung 860 EVO if it fits in the box. If I get a new computer I would definitely get the 970 EVO. (m.2).

12 minutes ago, Leizer said:

I have a 7 year old computer (some stats below) with a Kingston sv200s3256g SSD as my start-up drive. It is still working, but takes some time (1-3 min after logged in) to function properly, after random freezes.  Maybe it is not the drive's fault but it hasn't been like that until recently. If I would buy a new SSD I think I would pick up a Samsung 860 EVO if it fits in the box. If I get a new computer I would definitely get the 970 EVO. (m.2).

7 years feels like a fair enoguh amount time for a drive to start showing it's age. Jeez, even a standar HD would start showing it's age by this amount of time

I have two, 250 GB Samsung EVO's that are two and four years old.  Both have had ZERO issues (but I also have Carbonite so my files are safe if one should die).

With the lower prices, I definitely will be getting an M2 next time, and larger too, probably 1 TB.  I'll keep using the 250's as OS drives.

I have a 3+ year old Samsung SSD 850 EVO that still shows 100%, and with no perceptible performance degradation, as my system drive.

I take daily FULL images with Macrium Reflect free.

I think most of the hype and FUD about SSD life was generated in the early days of SSD. By today's standards, an SSD will probably outlive your computer, and maybe even you!

• Like 1

In 2011, I put a 240GB Patriot Wildfire in my old Win7 2600K machine. That particular drive had a few workarounds to load firmare into, and ran hot (internally it had no throttle, so things like installing DimPro that would uncompress a massive zip and then install it would Blue Screen it out). To do that particular install, I needed to either unzip it manually first, or set the temp directory for installations to another drive (HDD).

In late 2017, I got a 500GB 850 EVO "just in case," and benched it with Samsung's utility... the Partiot actually outbenched the 850 EVO. Being paranoid, I swapped them after cloning and threw the Patriot into a drawer. Before I did, I checked cells on the Patriot, and none had gone bad.

Early in 2018 I got this new machine, and I pulled the 850 out of the old one to be a data drive. I threw the Patriot back into the Win7 machine, and it booted right up. I do not use that much at all (it has a DVD ROM, so I only really use it to make ISO files of old CDs/DVDs), and other that the standard don'ts, that drive spent a lot of time run hot as the system drive (and with the pagefile online was sometimes over 90% capacity).

The only thing I would be concerned with now is that some newer technology (quad-layer) may not be as reliable/fast as less-dense media. Bear that in mind as "How did your SSDs fair?" may not be an apples-to-apples comparison - and some drives are no longer available. Samsung's have ruled the roost for a while now, so for a SATA SSD, the 850s have a lot of technical reviews to fall back on, and are still available. NVMe is a different beast, so look at reviews of things before making a purchase, and make sure your machine will support it... I read a review long ago where a person put a SATA III SSD into a SATA II connection and couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting a performance jump from it.

• Like 1

I use Crucial SSD's almost exclusively, after some bad experiences with SanDisk (although to be fair, although more than one died, they did replace the disk that went wrong during the warranty period).

I do have a Kingston SSD, but I've been burned by the reliability of their SD cards & memory so I tend to shy away from them.

I have numerous 1 and 2Tb Crucial Discs across a couple of machines - had them around two years now - none have gone wrong and they gave both my well specked but ageing windows 7 machines a brand new lease of life. In fact the performance has improved so dramatically it has allowed me to delay purchase of a new machine completely for the time being.

I have just finished our new album on them - i am actually sitting here listening to the first draft of the final Masters - could not have done that if the machines were not firing on all cylinders!!

Cheers

Nigel

I've been using this Samsung 250GB SSD as my boot drive since I built my PC in 2013. The 2 HDD's are even older than that. I do back them up regularly, but I'm thinking they've outlived their time.

250GB OS SSD 

3TB HDD SAMPLES

1TB PROJECTS HDD

With early trepidation I have now gone head over heals for SSD.

I still use a spinner drive for my audio drive and for file servers because of the constant writing that happens there but boy oh boy for your system boot drive, it's deliverance. And cheap and it's ok to drop em on the floor. If you fumble a spinner, largely game over.

I don't back up the way I should and I know I'm cruising for a bruising. I have had zero issues with any of my SSD drives. The only mistake I've made was to buy too small. From now on I doubt I'll buy anything smaller than a 1TB. I have the tendancy to buy libraries both useful and not filling up my space on my three 500GB  SSD's.  I just bought the Flatulus library.........now there's a useful one for you. It's not that large, however if you buy 10 more like it things begin to fill up fast.

I have a few projects going right now or I would be looking at replacing at least one or adding a 1TB to my lineup. I don't dare do it in the middle of a recording project...you know what can happen.

The Samsung EVO drives are very reliable. I've had one running in my laptop for 4 years now without problems.

I bought a Crucial CT240BX300SSD1  when it was on offer for my wife's laptop, and it doesn't perform as well as the EVO.

Also, to save the SSD from maxing out on my laptop, I have an external HHD, salvaged from the laptop, as a recording drive - seems to work just fine.

Thank you all for your input. Very usefull info.

Ironic that, a couple of threads near, there's one of us that got it's Intel SSD suddenly dead. But, i guess that  there's always some percentage of RMAs an fails around in hardware