Jump to content
tdehan

[SOLVED] Can't hear my bass guitar well when recording.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I am using a Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen Scarlett interface.  When I plug my bass guitar in to record I can barely hear the bass when I am playing.  The levels are up, I can hear the other mixed tracks just fine.  But the volume of the bass when I am recording is extremely low which causes me to end up playing harder than I want.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by tdehan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi tdehan,

What kind of pickups do you have on your bass?  If you have active pickups, then I would check or change the battery.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the recording level is okay, just reduce the volumes of the other tracks so the bass is more prominent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are times when the tracking mix needs to be radically different than the playback mix, I agree that maybe the best option is to alter the other tracks playback volume while you're tracking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also a design flaw with a lot of interfaces. The 2i2 lacks a blend control so you can adjust the difference between input direct and DAW playback. You see the Tascam has the input/Computer blend control but the Scarlett doesn't. Little details on interfaces make a huge difference. SO now the OP has to turn down the MAster in the DAW. 

 

us-2x2_p_front.jpgscarlett-2i2-hero-860-330_1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, parboo12 said:

Have you got your Scarlett set to "Instrument"?

I've tried both with the INST button pressed in and without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solo the bass track and play. Get the level where you want. Then unsolo the bass and play along with the project. If the bass gets buried in the mix, like the other poster said, reduce the level of your other tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John Vere said:

By his response I don't think he read the other posts.  

Seems to be a pattern...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, tdehan said:

I am using a Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen Scarlett interface.  When I plug my bass guitar in to record I can barely hear the bass when I am playing.  The levels are up, I can hear the other mixed tracks just fine.  But the volume of the bass when I am recording is extremely low which causes me to end up playing harder than I want.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

It could be acoustics creating bass frequency dead spots in your room. That's a common problem in small rooms. Solo a bass track or loop and walk around your room. Also try headphones. 

Edited by Bill Phillips
Clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another alternative.... Click the Solo button along with the DIM button, so the complete mix is lowered in volume and you can track the bass louder

image.png.2dd13c6eb46235d969d009f1089d7523.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 6:50 AM, Stormbringer75 said:

Click the Solo button along with the DIM button, so the complete mix is lowered in volume and you can track the bass louder

Plus 1 on this suggestion. It's a quick and dirty (and easy!) way to get a usable mix when you're overdubbing, without going to all the trouble of setting up a separate cue mix. You can further customize this by going into Preferences and changing the amount of "dimming" the Dim button does. This allows you a little bit of adjustment to the levels of the tracks that are not soloed.

But (1.) a separate cue mix is the "right" way to do this, and (2.) if you're recording your bass at a good level and you still can't hear it, then your other tracks are probably too loud.

  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP left the room 6 Days ago which is typically his behaviour. 
 

But I will say all 4 of the interfaces I have owned all have a blend controller and I really can’t see not having this option. Seems a critical function to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The OP left the room 6 Days ago

Even without the OP, we've had a good discussion, and some of us have learned something.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It would be great if I received email notifications from the forum when there is a response to a post.  However, as I've stated prior, I don't get a notification (and no....nothing is in my JUNK folder).  With that said, yes it would be great if the 2i2 had a blend control like my other 2 interfaces do.   To fix the issue, I used the DIRECT MONITOR button which allowed me to hear the bass just fine and finish the recording.  Thanks for all the responses.  (John and pdickens, I don't know what seems to be up you shorts....)

Edited by tdehan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nothing personal. Just when people keep trying to help and the OP is not responsive you figure they either solved the issue or have lost interest in the forum. 
I don’t get email but I get notifications when I open the forum. 
It is nice if  you mark any thread you started Solved or keep involved until it is. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John Vere said:

Nothing personal. Just when people keep trying to help and the OP is not responsive you figure they either solved the issue or have lost interest in the forum. 
I don’t get email but I get notifications when I open the forum. 
It is nice if  you mark any thread you started Solved or keep involved until it is. 

As I stated, it would be nice to get an email notification that there has been a response or update to any post.  All of the other forums I belong to do this.  Odd that this one does not.  As a result, when there is no response of an update via email and I solve the issue myself, I forget most times about the post.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tdehan said:

As I stated, it would be nice to get an email notification that there has been a response or update to any post.  All of the other forums I belong to do this.  Odd that this one does not.  As a result, when there is no response of an update via email and I solve the issue myself, I forget most times about the post.  

 

@tdehan - you can configure your notification settings within your account settings.

First click on the dropdown where your username is on the top left:
image.png.ce4bd0f7566cb0cbface450453707321.png


This will take you to your account settings page. Click on Notification settings:

image.png.59fdc93c8830eb7c960d9c9c40716a7e.png

You can now adjust your notification settings:

image.thumb.png.ef1f5daade143fa3c27defefb6b68f7b.png

You can also opt-in to follow a particular topic by clicking on the Follow link to the left of the topic header:
image.png.cf4dadab370a6aed73f7eb9d2451a541.png
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...