Flatbed Effect list request.

Will.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

Uh... what is a "flatbed" in this context?

On 3/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

A "wide window" that show all the effects in it's category on one window. 

56 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

You guys dont seem to get it. 

What you are showing is a "one list" page. Zoom in to check. Every EQ/Dynamic will be in its own category. 

This will be a new feature to the DAW. Your example was that of a VST and not that of the DAW itself. So it will be new to Cakewalk.

Like in every other DAW - the user can switch this On or Off. 

TY for clarifying that its a single page that has both categories and lists. Let me see if I understand. A flatbed list is a "wide window" that shows a list of categories as well as all the items in a selected category.** Apologies that I did not notice that before.  As I said, some of us get overwhelmed when there are way too many items on a page (or within a box on a page). That's one of the reasons for having flexibility--a point that seems to keep getting lost by some people in this thread.  

I stand by all my other comments here.

BTW, I looked up "flatbed effect list," "flatbed list" and "UI flatbed list" (and a few other variations) thinking maybe my personal knowledge base had a gap and I am missing what you and everyone else knows.  (It does happen.) However, for the first 5 pages of several Google searches, the only source I found was this thread.   Apologies if "flatbed list" is indeed a common phrase; Google didn't help me to know what you meant.

**Not sure I have 100% of what you mean.

Edited by User 905133
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

TY for clarifying that its a single page that has both categories and lists. Let me see if I understand. A flatbed list is a "wide window" that shows a list of categories as well as all the items in a selected category.** Apologies that I did not notice that before.  As I said, some of us get overwhelmed when there are way too many items on a page (or within a box on a page). That's one of the reasons for having flexibility--a point that seems to keep getting lost by some people in this thread.  

I stand by all my other comments here.

BTW, I looked up "flatbed effect list," "flatbed list" and "UI flatbed list" (and a few other variations) thinking maybe my personal knowledge base had a gap and I am missing what you and everyone else knows.  (It does happen.) However, for the first 5 pages of several Google searches, the only source I found was this thread.   Apologies if "flatbed list" is indeed a common phrase; Google didn't help me to know what you meant.

**Not sure I have 100% of what you mean.

Again . . . Look at this picture. 

774178314_PT12.thumb.jpg.7e175cd6ea83a91e44b64d78b3bcb79a.jpg

Edited by Will_Kaydo

23 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Again . . . Look at this picture. 

I see categories in column 1 with "Dynamics >" highlighted and three columns listing items which I presume are all the plug-ins that aren't cut off at the bottom which fit the Dynamics category.

To me "Let me see if I understand. A flatbed list is a "wide window" that shows a list of categories as well as all the items in a selected category." is 100% accurate and 100% complete based on yet another look at the picture.

Is there something else in the picture you want to call to my attention?

Maybe you can put yellow boxes around what you are trying to direct my attention to along with some words (labels), maybe some arrows?

If there is something else, this illustrates precisely why your "flatbed list" UI format should not be forced upon all users but instead should be optional.

Edited by User 905133
to underline, boldface, enlarge, and colorize the last line so the final sentence is OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, User 905133 said:

To me "Let me see if I understand. A flatbed list is a "wide window" that shows a list of categories as well as all the items in a selected category."

Almost there, but not quite. The "Wide Window" (A.K.A flatbed or multi-column) only exist within the catergory folder you're visting.

Like within cakewalk: You get the single category list, showcasing all your FX folders (in the FX Bin view) with the arrow next to it. Once you hover or click on it - it opens another single (narrow) page, where you have to click 20 times to get to your "favorite/favourite" (depend on where in the world you are) plugin. This is where the wide window will live. 

1313898581_FlatbedEXAMPLE.jpg.thumb.png.9444a80a0909afcd29f46dc43bd565b7.png

This is as clear as I can get with this. Been explaining the same thing over and over. 

And like I've said many times before on this topic: You will have the option to switch to this feature, like with the other 3 available features. Adding this to that wont break the daw as what people seems to think. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

I agree that these list types are very fast for work flows. They may appear overwhelming, however in this case, the individual will have purchased each of the items, and therefore will know what each is, making visually scrolling them very quick. Is also excellent for scanning through the list from top to bottom multiple times if you are on the fence in making your choice. 

Of course in my case, I have practically no plugins, so it would appear more like it's current configuration regardless. 🙃

4 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Almost there, but not quite. The "Wide Window" (A.K.A flatbed or multi-column) only exist within the catergory folder you're visting.

Like within cakewalk: You get the single category list, showcasing all your FX folders (in the FX Bin view) with the arrow next to it. Once you hover or click on it - it opens another single (narrow) page, where you have to click 20 times to get to your "favorite/favourite" (depend on where in the world you are) plugin. This is where the wide window will live. 

1313898581_FlatbedEXAMPLE.jpg.thumb.png.9444a80a0909afcd29f46dc43bd565b7.png

This is as clear as I can get with this. Been explaining the same thing over and over. 

And like I've said many times before on this topic: You will have the option to switch to this feature, like with the other 3 available features. Adding this to that wont break the daw as what people seems to think. 

Thank you for the marked up image. It is pretty much as I thought, and now I know exactly what you mean by a Flatbed/Wide Window and how you see it as a companion to a category list.

• Like 1

• John locked this topic